No. 12 @CanesWTennis Extends Winning Streak
PITTSBURGH – The University of Miami women’s tennis team captured a 6-1 road victory against Pittsburgh Sunday at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center.
The win was the fourth in seven days for No. 12 Miami (10-4, 5-2 ACC) and moved the team’s winning streak to six in a row.
“Playing Pitt away is always going to be a tough match when the surface is as fast as it is,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. ”We responded well and kept things simple in terms of tactics.”
The doubles point came down to a tight match between Miami sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno and the Panthers’ Natsumi Okamoto and Amber Washington. The Miami pair eventually pulled through after a lenghty match with a 7-6 (8-6) victory to put the Hurricanes in front, 1-0.
Freshman Ana Madcur extended the lead for Miami by defeating Okamoto, 6-2, 6-0. Feuntes then put Miami in front by three with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Rezende.
Pittsburgh’s only point of the day came from Washington, who defeated Riobueno, 6-2, 6-3, to get the Panthers on the board.
Miami’s trio of nationally-ranked players tallied the next three points for the Hurricanes. Lohan, ranked seventh in the country, was the one who clinched it, earning a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Ma.
No. 103 Zhang dominated her match against Frey, winning in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. Shortly after, sixth-ranked Wagner closed the day by giving the Hurricanes their sixth point, as she topped No. 123 Blakely, 6-1, 6-4.
“We showed toughness and resiliency that will be crucial moving forward,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We are becoming more mature as a unit, and it’s showing in tight moments.”
The Hurricanes will be back on the court Friday in Coral Gables, Fla., as they host No. 10 Virginia at 1 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
To keep up with the University of Miami women’s tennis team throughout the season, follow @CanesWTennis.
1. No. 10 Stephanie Wagner/Wendy Zhang (UM) def. Aubrey Ann Blakely/Gabriela Rezende (UP), 6-2
2. Callie Frey/Carina Ma (UP) def. No. 55 Sinead Lohan/Clara Tanielian (UM), 6-4
3. Silvia Fuentes/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Natsumi Okamoto/Amber Washington (UP), 7-6 (8-6)
1. No. 6 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. No. 123 Aubrey Ann Blakely (UP) 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 7 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. Carnia Ma (UP) 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 103 Wendy Zhang (UM) def. Callie Frey (UP) 6-2, 6-0
4. Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Gabriela Rezende (UP) 6-0, 6-1
5. Amber Washington (UP) def. Clementina Riobueno (UM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ana Madcur (UM) def. Natsumi Okamoto (UP) 6-2, 6-0