Shop Now for Father’s Day at the Hurricanes Team Store! Explore our gift guide now ➡️ Gift Guide »

Close Topbar
Duke Dominates in 34-6 Victory

Duke Dominates in 34-6 Victory

Duke Dominates in 34-6 Victory

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (AP) – Before the season was 90 seconds old, Miami dropped an interception that would have been a sure-fire touchdown, committed a penalty on special teams and was flagged for delay of game prior to their first play from scrimmage.

So there was some rust.

None of it was on Duke Johnson.

Johnson had career-highs of 187 yards and 19 carries before departing in the third quarter, receiver Herb Waters took a pitch on an end-around for a 63-yard rushing score, and Miami beat Florida Atlantic 34-6 on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.

Box Score Highlights
Quotes Condensed Replay
Press Conference Full Replay
Notes Photo Gallery 
1st Quarter
FG Matt Goudis 35 yd field goal
2nd Quarter
TD Duke Johnson 53 yd run
(Matt Goudis kick)
FG Mitch Anderson 25 yd field goal
FG Matt Goudis 45 yd field goal
TD Clive Walford 16 yd pass
(Matt Goudis kick)
3rd Quarter
FG Mitch Anderson 20 yd field goal
TD Herb Waters 63 yd run
(Matt Goudis kick)
TD Dallas Crawford 4 yd run
(Matt Goudis kick)
4th Quarter
    no scoring
18 1st Downs 20
250 Total Yards 503
117 Passing 200
133 Rushing 303
3-25 Penalties 8-67
1 Turnovers 1
33:18 Possession 26:42
Morris 15/27 160 1 1
Johnson 11/20 83 0 0
Johnson 19 187 9.8 1
Wallace 10 34 3.4 0
Waters 2 49 24.5 0
German 3 34 11.3 0

Stephen Morris threw for 160 yards and another score for the Hurricanes, who play host to No. 10 Florida in a rivalry game next weekend. Dallas Crawford added a touchdown run for Miami.

Johnson left in the third quarter after getting shaken up on the play where Waters scored and was checked out on the Miami sideline, with indications that he was being evaluated to rule out a concussion. He did not seem to need any treatment and even with much of the second half off, his was the highest rushing total by any Miami player since Tyrone Moss ran for 195 against North Carolina on Oct. 29, 2005.

Mitch Anderson kicked two field goals for FAU, which is now 4-24 in its last 28 games. The Owls got into Miami territory on their final drive, then spiked the ball with 6 seconds left to stop the clock – with the slight problem there being it was already fourth down.

Dozens of members of the 1983 Miami national championship team were at the game, as part of the Hurricanes’ 30th anniversary celebration of that title. Howard Schnellenberger coached that team, and started the Florida Atlantic program 15 years later, so the night had plenty of meaning for both sides.

”There is a great probability that Florida Atlantic University will not win, I’m advised by my friends in Reno and Las Vegas,” Schnellenberger said before the game, a nod to oddsmakers listing Miami as a 32-point favorite. ”But if they play their best, fight the battle, measure up man-on-man, come out at the end of the game behind, they are not defeated.”

Miami got only three points out of its first three drives – highly touted freshman receiver Stacy Coley dropped two passes that would have been touchdowns – before Johnson got things really going for the Hurricanes with 13:03 left in the first half with a 53-yard touchdown run that gave his team a 10-0 lead.

It was 20-3 by halftime, after Morris found tight end Clive Walford for a score with 2 minutes left, but the Hurricanes turned the ball over on the first possession of the second half. Morris’ pass was intercepted by FAU’s Andrae Kirk, setting the Owls up at the Hurricanes’ 20.

That’s when Miami’s defense, maligned just about every week last season when the Hurricanes gave up more points than any team in school history, made a stand and held FAU to just a field goal.

And that was just about the last chance FAU had. Waters’ long run down the left sideline made it 27-6, and after Wisconsin transfer David Gilbert recovered a fumble deep in FAU territory for the Hurricanes, Crawford plowed in to extend Miami’s lead to four touchdowns.

Friday night marked the start of a stretch where the Owls will play five of their first six contests on the road, although this game was a mere 35 miles south of FAU’s campus and in the same stadium the program originally called home. FAU’s first game was Sept. 1, 2001 at the building now called Sun Life Stadium, a 40-7 loss to Slippery Rock, and just as he did when he was with the Hurricanes, Schnellenberger insisted better days would soon be coming.

He was right. By 2003, the Owls were in the Division I-AA national semifinals.

In 2007 and 2008, after making the jump to college football’s highest level, they won bowl games. An on-campus home stadium was eventually opened. But the good times didn’t last and the Owls are now in an all-out rebuilding phase, having lost 14 of their last 28 games by at least 20 points.