W. Tennis Wins, 4-3, at No. 50 Syracuse
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team defeated No. 50 Syracuse, 4-3, Friday evening at Drumlins Country Club.
No. 34 Miami took the doubles point and staved off the Orange’s comeback bid during singles to come away with the road victory.
Syracuse (4-5, 1-2 ACC) got off to a fast start with a 6-0 doubles win from Viktoriya Kanapatskaya and Natalie Novotna over fifth-year senior Estela Perez-Somarriba and freshman Isabella Pfennig.
The Hurricanes, however, countered with 6-4 decisions on the two remaining courts to take the doubles point. Third-year sophomore and second-year freshman Florencia Urrutia first downed Miranda Ramirez and Guzal Yusopova. Then, second-year freshmen Diana Khodan and Maya Tahan put Miami (4-5, 2-3 ACC) ahead by edging Polina Kozyreva and Sofya Treshcheva.
The Orange evened the score to begin singles play, as No. 121 Kanapatskaya defeated Pfennig, 6-3, 6-0, in a matchup of two of the ACC’s top newcomers.
Minutes later, though, second-ranked Perez-Somarriba put the Hurricanes back in front with a dominant 6-2, 6-0 win against No. 81 Yusupova. The Madrid native won the final 10 games of the match to log her 147th career singles victory, tying Duke’s Kathy Sell for fourth-most in ACC history.
Syracuse tied the score once again when Kozyreva broke at deuce in the 12th game of set two, earning a 6-4, 7-5 decision against No. 87 Achong.
Khodan continued her recent strong play by downing Ines Fonte, 7-6 (8-6), 6-0, cruising in the second set after eking out the first.
Tahan sealed the win for Miami, but it came in tense fashion. Her 5-3 third-set lead turned into 5-4 with a deuce point, but the Tel Mond, Israel, native held strong for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 comeback win over Ramirez.
The last match, between Urrutia and Novotna, was played out, with the latter registering a narrow 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 result to make it a 4-3 final.
With the win, the Hurricanes improved their all-time record against the Orange to a stellar 12-1.
Miami will be back on the court Sunday in Weymouth, Mass., where it squares off with Boston College at 10 a.m.
1. Viktoriya Kanapatskaya/Natalie Novotna (SU) def. Estela Perez-Somarriba/Isabella Pfennig (UM), 6-0
2. Diana Khodan/Maya Tahan (UM) def. Polina Kozyreva/Sofya Treshcheva (SU), 6-4
3. Daevenia Achong/Florencia Urrutia (UM) def. Miranda Ramirez/Guzal Yusupova (SU), 6-4
1. No. 2 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. No. 81 Guzal Yusupova (SU), 6-2, 6-0
2. No. 121 Viktoriya Kanapatskaya (SU) def. Isabella Pfennig (UM), 6-3, 6-0
3. Natalie Novotna (SU) def. Florencia Urrutia (UM), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Polina Kozyreva (SU) def. No. 87 Daevenia Achong (UM), 6-4, 7-5
5. Maya Tahan (UM) def. Miranda Ramirez (SU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Diana Khodan (UM) def. Ines Fonte (SU), 7-6 (8-6), 6-0