W. Tennis Logs 7-0 Sweep at Clemson
CLEMSON, S.C. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team dominated Clemson from start to finish for a 7-0 road victory Sunday afternoon at The Duckworth Family Tennis Facility.
The Hurricanes won all six singles matches in straight sets to post the 150th shutout triumph of head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews’ 20-year tenure, including the 93rd since 2009.
“We rebounded well as a team today,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “A 7-0 win is never easy to come by in this conference and I’m happy we completed the road trip with everyone feeling pretty good.”
Miami (3-3, 1-1 ACC) struck first in doubles behind a dominant 6-1 victory from Estela Perez-Somarriba and Isabella Pfennig against Ali DeSpain and Mackenzy Middlebrooks. Minutes later, Clemson (4-5, 0-2 ACC) leveled the tally with a 6-3 win by Eleni Louka and Jenna Thompson over Daevenia Achong and Maya Tahan.
Attention then shifted to Court 3, where action was even at 4-4. The Hurricane duo of Diana Khodan and Florencia Urrutia took the final two games against Sophia Hatton and Cristina Mayorova to close out a 6-4 win and give Miami the opening point.
In only two of the 12 singles sets did the Hurricanes drop four-plus games, as the Hurricanes fully controlled the action.
No. 87 Achong notched the opening singles victory, her first of the season, with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Mayorova.
Tahan upped the edge to 3-0 by defeating Hatton, 6-2, 6-3, and Pfennig sealed the deal moments later by finishing off a 6-3, 6-3 win over Thompson. For the former, it marked her debut spot at the No. 2 position, just four matches after playing at No. 6 for the Hurricanes.
The final three matches were all played out, with Khodan registering the next decision, a 7-5, 6-1 result versus Zaina Nait Omar.
Urritia followed that by topping DeSpain, 6-1, 6-2, and second-ranked Perez-Somarriba completed the sweep with a 7-5, 6-1 victory against Louka.
Sunday’s win marked Miami’s 20th in a row over the Tigers and upped its all-time series lead to 32-4, including 13-1 on the road.
The Hurricanes resume play Friday at noon when they host Wake Forest at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in their first home match of the season.
1. Eleni Louka/Jenna Thompson (CU) def. Daevenia Achong/Maya Tahan (UM), 6-3
2. Estela Perez-Somarriba/Isabella Pfennig (UM) def. Ali DeSpain/Mackenzy Middlebrooks (CU), 6-1
3. Diana Khodan/Florencia Urrutia (UM) def. Sophia Hatton/Cristina Mayorova (CU), 6-4
1. No. 2 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Eleni Louka (CU), 7-5, 6-1
2. Isabella Pfennig (UM) def. Jenna Thompson (CU), 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 87 Daevenia Achong (UM) def. Cristina Mayorova (CU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Florencia Urrutia (UM) def. Ali DeSpain (CU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Maya Tahan (UM) def. Sophia Hatton (CU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Diana Khodan (UM) def. Zaina Nait Omar (CU), 7-5, 6-1