W. Tennis Downs FGCU, 6-1, to Open Doubleheader
By Alex Schwartz
FORT MYERS, Fla. – In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the University of Miami women’s tennis team registered a 6-1 victory over homestanding FGCU.
No. 17 Miami (2-0) narrowly took the doubles point and then dominated play during singles to pick up the win.
FGCU (1-2) got on the board first in doubles, as Julia Ascua and Maja Ornberg logged a 6-2 decision over the No. 51-ranked pair of junior Yuna Ito and sophomore Ulyana Shirokova.
Freshman Daevenia Achong and junior Estela Perez-Somarriba countered with a 6-3 victory against Madison Gallegos and Sofia Perez to even the doubles tally.
Seniors Ana Madcur and Daniella Roldan earned the doubles point for Miami by rallying back from a 0-3 deficit to notch a 7-5 win over Laura Font and Sara Kelly.
Seventh-ranked Perez-Somarriba notched the Hurricanes’ first win in singles play, rolling to a 6-0, 6-2 decision against Ornberg.
Madcur followed that with an impressive 6-1, 6-1 victory over Gallegos, giving her 75 singles wins as a Hurricane. The San Juan, Argentina, native is the 28th player in program history to reach that figure and the second to do so in 2018-19, along with Perez-Somarriba.
Shirokova clinched the win for Miami with a hard-fought, straight-set result against Font, 6-4, 6-3.
The remaining matches were all played out, with the first decision going to FGCU, as Ascua downed Ito, 6-2, 6-4.
Achong then got Miami back to its winning ways with the first three-set triumph of her young career, topping Kelly, 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6). Girbau followed her classmate with a 6-4, 6-4 victory against Perez to give the Hurricanes’ their sixth and final point.
Miami improved 5-0 in its all-time series against FGCU with the decision, as well as upped its lead in total points to 29-3.
The Hurricanes are back in action again Saturday afternoon, as they return to the court to face Cornell.
1. Julia Ascua/Maja Ornberg (FGCU) def. No. 51 Yuna Ito/Ulyana Shirokova (UM), 6-2
2. Daevenia Achong/Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Madison Gallegos/Sofia Perez (FGCU), 6-3
3. Ana Madcur/Daniella Roldan (UM) def. Laura Font/Sara Kelly (FGCU), 7-5
1. No. 7 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Maja Ornberg (FGCU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Daevenia Achong (UM) def. Sara Kelly (FGCU), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Julia Ascua (FGCU) def. Yuna Ito (UM), 6-2, 6-4
4. Ulyana Shirokova (UM) def. Laura Font (FGCU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Carla Girbau (UM) def. Sofia Perez (FGCU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Ana Madcur (UM) def. Madison Gallegos (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1