W. Tennis Sweeps Georgia State, 4-0
By Alex Schwartz
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon.
Facing Georgia State at the FGCU Tennis Complex, Miami (3-3) earned a 4-0 victory and notched its second neutral-site triumph of the season.
“We simply need to continue raising our level heading into ACC play,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Today was a test on some courts where I believe we need to finish much more decisively.”
Georgia State (5-5) forfeited the No. 3 doubles position, meaning Miami needed to win just one doubles match to earn the opening point.
Junior Ana Madcur and sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, ranked No. 33, quickly pulled in the result with a 6-0 triumph over Damira Muminovic and Kristin Rehse.
Senior Sinead Lohan and freshman Ulyana Shirokova trailed Elizabet Danailova and Lara Vovk, 2-3, when play was halted.
The Panthers also forfeited the No. 6 doubles spot, giving Miami a 2-0 lead at the start of singles competition.
No. 23 Perez-Somarriba put the Hurricanes within a point of victory by taking down Rehse, 6-3, 6-1. No. 116 Lohan then clinched the match for Miami by defeating Danailova, 6-1, 6-4.
Three matches were left unfinished, with Miami ahead in two. Shirokova held a 7-5, 3-5 edge on Muminovic, while Paterova was in front of Vovk, 6-2, 6-6 (1-0). Additionally, No. 114 Madcur trailed Daniela Ramirez, 1-6, 6-6 (1-1).
“We are still not playing and competing with the culture that has been the essence of this program for a very long time,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m hoping to see us move closer to that soon.”
For Yaroshuk-Tews, Saturday’s win was her 137th by shutout in 17 years as Miami’s head coach, including her 80th since the start of the 2009 campaign.
The Hurricanes return to action March 2 with a doubleheader at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, as they host Pittsburgh at 10 a.m., and Florida Atlantic at 5 p.m.
1. No. 33 Ana Madcur/Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Damira Muminovic/Kristin Rehse (GS), 6-0
2. Elizabet Danailova/Lara Vovk (GS) vs. Sinead Lohan/Ulyana Shirokova (UM), 3-2, unf.
3. UM def. GS by walkover
1. No. 23 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Kristin Rehse (GS), 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 116 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. Elizabet Danailova (GS), 6-1, 6-4
3. Daniela Ramirez (GS) vs. No. 114 Ana Madcur (UM), 1-6, 6-6 (1-1), unf.
4. Ulyana Shirokova (UM) vs. Damira Muminovic (GS) 7-5, 3-5
5. Dominika Paterova (UM) vs. Lara Vovk (GS), 6-2, 6-6 (1-0), unf.
6. UM def. GS by walkover