August 11, 1998
CORAL GABLES, FL — The University of Miami Hurricanes opened the 1998football season with a pair of freshman practices today at the newly refurbishedGreentree Practice Field. Coach Butch Davis put 28 newcomers throughthe paces with morning and afternoon workout in shorts.
“There’s a lot of athletic ability on the field,” said Davis.“This is what I thought I was going to see when we signed these playersback in February; players that could run and are very good athletes.”
Davis applauded the efforts of defensive back Mike Rumph (Delray Beach),line- backer Chris Campbell (Mt. Pleasant, TX), and wide receivers JamesScott (Crescent City) and Ethenic Sands (Carol City).
“Clearly, Michael Rumph practiced like a veteran today in just aboutevery drill and conditioning. Also, Chris Campbell did a very goodjob. James Scott looked like a polished player, he looked differentthan the typical high school player that comes into the program.”
Defensive lineman Matt Walters from Melbourne, FL (Eau Gallie HS) didnot practice. Walters suffered a broken bone in his left foot inthe annual Florida/Georgia high school All-Star game and will not participatein preseason drills until the cast is removed from his foot in approximately2 to 3 weeks.
The 1998 freshman class returns to the practice field Wednesday fora single workout starting at 8:30 a.m.
Veteran players also report to preseason camp tomorrow. The Hurricanescontinue with two-a-day practices on Friday, August 14th, with an 8:30and 3:30 workout. Practices are open to the public.
Schedule of Upcoming Events
- August 12, Media Luncheon, 12:00, Faculty Club, UM Campus.
- August 13, Media Day, 1-3, Greentree Practice Field, UM Campus.
- August 15, Freshman Breakfast, 7:30 a.m., Faculty Club, UM Campus.
- August 18, First day in pads, 8:30 & 3:30, Greentree Practice Field,UM Campus.
- August 22, CanesFest, 9:00 a.m., Orange Bowl Stadium, Miami.
- August 26, CanesFest – Broward, 6:00 p.m., Lockhart Stadium, Ft. Lauderdale.