August 12, 1998
CORAL GABLES, FL – The University of Miami freshman football playersheld a two-hour practice today at the Greentree Practice Field in CoralGables.
“ Today we started teaching the players offense and defense, as wellas, introducing some of the drills they will be participating in with thevarsity players on Friday,” said head coach Butch Davis. “Today was elementaryfootball 101.”
Davis applauded some spectacular plays made by wide receiver JamesScott (Crescent City, FL) and linebacker Chris Campbell (Mt. Pleasant,TX).
“James Scott made the kind of plays today, that give you chances towin games. James is an exceptional, all around athlete. Defensively,Chris Campbell made some really nice plays, forcing fumbles and creatingturnovers.”
Davis said he expects more enthusiasm from this year’s squad and workedwith the freshman on celebrating the success of their teammates.“We’re trying to get the freshman to celebrate in each other’s success,”said Davis. “We want to see more passion, excitement and aggressiveattitudes on the field.”
Miami will begin its full squad practices on Friday with practicesscheduled for 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Practices are open to the public.
Schedule of Upcoming Events
- August 13, Media Day, 1-3, George A. Smathers Wellness Center, UM Campus.Check in at Sports Information Office.
- August 15, Freshman Breakfast, 7:30 a.m., Faculty Club, UM Campus.
- August 18, First day in pads, 8:30 & 3:30, Greentree Practice Field,UM Campus.
- August 22, CanesFest 9:00 a.m., Orange Bowl Stadium, Miami.
- August 26, CanesFest- Broward, 6:00 p.m., Lockhart Stadium, Ft. Lauderdale.