MBB Travels to Louisville Sunday Evening
January 6, 2019 | 6 p.m.
KFC Yum! Center | Louisville, Ky.
Miami (8-5, 0-1 ACC) at Louisville (9-4, 0-0 ACC)
Watch Online | Roster | Schedule | UM Game Notes | UL Game Notes
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s basketball team travels to Louisville Sunday for an ACC clash with the Louisville Cardinals. Game time is set for 6 p.m. at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky., with ESPNU broadcasting the matchup.
The game also streams online via the WatchESPN app, while the Canes’ radio broadcast airs on WQAM 560-AM and also streams on HurricaneSports.com, Radio.com and the TuneIn app.
Things To Know
• Miami is the only team among basketball’s six power conferences with five players averaging in double-figure scoring.
• Among ACC head coaches, Jim Larrañaga ranks 10th in league history in winning percentage in ACC road games at 50 percent (31-31 record).
• Zach Johnson is one of nine players nationally with 1,500 career points and 350 assists.
• Ebuka Izundu leads the ACC in field-goal pct. (.677) and is fourth in rebounding (9.4) and blocks (1.92).
• Dejan Vasiljevic has hit at least one 3-pointer in 26 straight games – the longest current streak in the ACC.
• Chris Lykes is eighth in the ACC in scoring (17.5).
• UM averages 8.9 3-pointers per game (third in ACC).
• Miami was picked 10th in the 2018-19 ACC Preseason Poll but UM exceeded its predicted finish in each of Jim Larrañaga’s first seven seasons.
• Junior forward Dewan Hernandez has been withheld from competition thus far as the University and NCAA review his eligibility.
Miami (8-5, 0-1 ACC) led for much of its ACC opener before falling to No. 18 NC State, 87-82, Thursday at the Watsco Center. Lykes led Miami with a career-high 28 points on 10-of-15 shooting, while Johnson added 21 points. It marked the second straight game that both Lykes and Johnson hit for 20 or more points. The Canes led by 10, 74-64, following a Lykes 3-pointer with 9:53 remaining in the game, but UM went without a field goal for the next 7:41 as NC State rallied for the victory.
Lykes leads five Hurricanes in scoring at 17.5 points per game, while Johnson is second at 13.9 ppg. Anthony Lawrence II (13.2), Izundu (12.0) and Vasiljevic (12.0) also average in double figures. Miami is scoring 77.9 ppg this year and giving up 69.1 ppg.
Louisville is the final ACC team to open conference play this season and takes a 9-4 record into Sunday contest. Under first-year head coach Chris Mack, the Cardinals are led in scoring and rebounding by Jordan Nwora, who averages 17.8 ppg and 8.4 rpg. UL has not played since falling to in-state rival Kentucky, 71-58, at home on Dec. 29. The Cardinals average 78.5 ppg and give up 68.7 ppg.
Louisville owns a 10-4 lead in the series, including a 4-0 edge in games played in Louisville (2-0 at KFC Yum! Center). UM prevailed in the last meeting, 78-75 in overtime, on Jan. 24, 2018, in Coral Gables behind 25 points from Lonnie Walker IV. Jim Larrañaga is 2-3 against Louisville in his career, with all of the meetings coming while he has been at Miami.
Miami has a quick turnaround before heading back out on the road Wednesday with a 9 p.m. game at No. 9 Florida State. The ACC’s Regional Sports Networks, including FOX Sports Sun and FOX Sports South, have the television broadcast. The Canes are back home next Saturday (Jan. 12) for a 2 p.m. game with Wake Forest.
To keep up with the University of Miami men’s basketball team on social media, follow @CanesHoops on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.