@CanesMensTennis Falls to No. 40 Virginia Tech
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team fell to No. 40 Virginia Tech, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
In singles action, Andrews gave Miami its sole win of the day, defeating No. 65 Bjerrehus, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0. This is Andrew’s first singles win over a ranked opponent this season.
The dual match began with doubles action, where Miami dropped the doubles point to Virginia Tech. Sophomore duo Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark fell to Americo Contini and Edorado Tessaro, 6-1. Jesse Flores and Kevin Bondar were defeated by Jai Corbett and Mitch Harper, 6-4. At the top spot, No. 72 Bernard Tefel and Max Andrews were trailing 3-4 against No. 12 Andreas Bjerrehus and Jaoa Monteiro when the match was called.
At the top singles position, No. 37 Lomacki fell to No. 25 Monteiro, 7-5, 6-3 and Flores dropped his two sets to No. 108 Contini, 7-5, 6-2. Freshman Fermin Calvo fell to Tessaro 6-2, 6-2 and on court 4, Harper downed Tefel 6-4, 6-4. Sophomore Niclas Genovese fell to Aaron Gomes 6-4, 3-6, 1-0.
Miami is now 8-13 overall and 3-8 in ACC action. The Canes will continue their weekend in Virginia as they head to Charlottesville to take on No. 1 UVa on Sunday, April 17 at Noon in the last match of the regular season.
Stay up to date with the Canes on HurricaneSports.com. To interact with the UM men’s tennis team socially, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter and Instagram and like the team on Facebook.com/CanesMensTennis.
Virginia Tech 6, Miami 1
1. #25 Joao Monteiro (VT) def. #37 Piotr Lomacki (UM) 7-5, 6-3
2. Max Andrews (UM) def. #65 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. #108 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Jesse Flores (UM) 7-5, 6-2
4. #80 Edoardo Tessaro (VT) def. Fermin Calvo (UM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mitch Harper (VT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Niclas Genovese (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
Order of finish: 4,3,1,5,6,2
1. #12 Bjerrehus/Monteiro (VT) vs. #72 Andrews/Tefel (UM) 4-3 dnf
2. Contini/Tessaro (VT) def. Lomacki/Nile Clark (UM) 6-1
3. Jai Corbett/Harper (VT) def. Flores/Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-3
Order of finish: 2,3