No. 67 Miami falls to No. 31 Georgia Tech
CORAL GABLES, Fla.—The No. 67 Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team fell to the No. 31 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 5-2, on Friday, April 1 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
“Our guys competed at a high level today, but it wasn’t enough to beat a good Georgia Tech team. Matches at Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 were extremely competitive, and Fermin and Jesse each had a great wins today,” said head coach Mario Rincon.
Miami came up short in doubles action, giving Georgia Tech the edge heading into singles play.
On Court 2 Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark fell to Carlos Benito and Christopher Eubanks, 6-1. At the No. 3 position, duo Jesse Flores and Kevin Bondar came up shy as they fell to Nathan Rakitt and Daniel Yun 6-4. Max Andrews and Bernard Tefel left their match unfinished against No. 54 ranked Michael Kay and Casey Kay, 5-3.
The Canes saw some success in singles but ultimately fell to the Yellow Jackets. Flores dominated his first set 6-3, but dropped his second set, 5-7. Flores downed Yun in a third set, 6-4, to put the Canes on the board. Freshman Fermin Calvo gave Miami its second point for the night, forcing three sets to defeat Andrew Li 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3).
On Court 1, No. 38 Lomacki fell after No. 11 Eubanks forced a third set, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). Kevin Bondar dropped his two sets to Rakitt, 6-2, 6-1, and at the No. 6 Bernard Tefel fell to Michael Kay 6-4, 6-3. At the No. 2, Benito downed Andrews in three sets 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Miami’s record now stands at 7-10 overall and 2-5 for conference play. The Canes will head to South Carolina to take on Clemson, Sunday, April 3 at 11 a.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
Stay up to date with the Canes on HurricaneSports.com. To interact with the UM men’s tennis team socially, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter and Instagram and like the team on Facebook.com/CanesMensTennis.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Georgia Tech
Apr 01, 2016 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
Georgia Tech 5, Miami 2
1. #11 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #38 Piotr Lomacki (UM) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Max Andrews (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Jesse Flores (UM) def. Daniel Yun (GT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
4. Fermin Calvo (UM) def. Andrew Li (GT) 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Michael Kay (GT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-4, 6-3
1. #54 Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) vs. Max Andrews/Bernard Tefel (UM) 5-3, unfinished
2. Carlos Benito/Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Piotr Lomacki/Nile Clark (UM) 6-1
3. Nathan Rakitt/Daniel Yun (GT) def. Jesse Flores/Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-4
Miami 7-10; Regional ranking #67
Georgia Tech 13-5; Regional ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,6,1,2,3,4)