@CanesMensTennis Falls to No. 51 Notre Dame
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team fell to No. 51 Notre Dame, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon at the Eck Tennis Pavillion.
The Hurricanes started off with a tremendous effort, taking down the Fighting Irish in doubles play, but came up short in singles action.
Miami (7-8, 2-3 ACC) struck first in doubles action, as junior Jesse Flores and Kevin Bondar knocked off Josh Hagar and Nicolas Montoya, 6-4. It was Max Andrews and Bernard Tefel that secured the doubles point for Miami. The duo defeated Eddy Covalschi and Alex Lawson, 6-3.
Nile Clark and Piotr Lomack left their match unfinished against No. 71 Grayson Broadus and Quentin Monaghan, 5-5.
Tefel scored the sole singles point for the Hurricanes today. He went into three sets against Sabacinski and emerged victorious 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
At the No. 1 position, No. 28 Piotr Lomacki fell to No. 42 Monaghan 6-2, 6-4. Andrews dropped his two sets to Colvaschi 6-3, 6-2. Flores was unable to grab the win; he was downed by Josh Hagar 6-4, 6-1.
Freshman Fermin Calvo forced three sets against Lawson but came up short, 7-5, 6-4, 6-2. At the No. 2 Kevin Bondar was defeated by Broadus after a tiebreak second set, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5).
“The team competed well but couldn’t get enough early leads to keep more pressure on our opponents today,” said assistant coach Mark Dickson. “The doubles and then Bernard, Kevin, and Fermin in singles showed a lot of improvement and we’ll keep building on the momentum.”
Miami is now 7-8 for the spring campaign and 2-3 for ACC play. The Canes head back home for their next match against No. 10 Wake Forest on Friday, March 25 at 1 p.m.
Stay up to date with the Canes on HurricaneSports.com. To interact with the UM men’s tennis team socially, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter and Instagram and like the team on Facebook.com/CanesMensTennis.
#51 Notre Dame 5, Miami 2
1. #42 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. #28 Piotr Lomacki (MIA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Max Andrews (MIA) 6-3, 6-2
3. Josh Hagar (ND) def. Jesse Flores (MIA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alex Lawson (ND) def. Fermin Calvo (MIA) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Kevin Bondar (MIA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Bernard Tefel (MIA) def. Kenneth Sabacinski (ND) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
1. Max Andrews/Bernard Tefel (MIA) def. Eddy Covalschi/Alex Lawson (ND) 6-3
2. #71 Grayson Broadus/Quentin Monaghan (ND) vs. Piotr Lomacki/Nile Clark (MIA) 5-5, unfinished 3. Jesse Flores/Kevin Bondar (MIA) def. Josh Hagar/Nicolas Montoya (ND) 6-4
Miami 7–8, 2-3 ACC
Notre Dame 10-8, 4-2 ACC; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)