Hurricanes Battle No. 19 Michigan, Fall 4-3
The University of Miami battled No. 19 Michigan Thursday afternoon, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, falling 4-3, against the nationally-ranked Wolverines.
“Losing the doubles after having three match points was tough, but our guys regrouped and put themselves in position to win their matches,” said head coach Mario Rincon. “Jesse, Piotr and Christian also beat good opponents today.”
Miami’s three points came from singles wins by No. 78 Piotr Lomacki, No. 81 Christian Langmo and Jesse Flores.
The day began with Bernard Tefel and Max Andrews beating Maks Tekavec and Tyler Gardiner, 6-1, in the third position. Miami lost the other two matches, though, to surrender the doubles point. Flores and Langmo fell, 6-3, to Alex Knight and Runhao Hua while Nile Clark and Lomacki came up short, 7-5, to Jathan Malik and Kevin Wong.
“Michigan played well and deserved to win. They’re playing with a lot of confidence right now,” said Rincon.
Miami fell behind after the first three singles matches, but won a trio to end the event.
Fermin Calvo was defeated by Kevin Wong, 6-3, 6-3, and Tefel fell to Myles Schalet, 6-3, 6-4 to open singles play. Carter Lin then beat Andrews, 7-6, 6-0, to earn the team win for Michigan.
No. 78 Lomacki took down No. 60 Malik 7-6, 6-2, to earn the Canes’ first singles victory. No. 81 Langmo followed suit, beating Knight in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Flores ended the day with a 7-6, 7-6, victory over Hua.
“We have a couple of days to get ready for FSU on Sunday, and we hope that many of our fans can make it out there, to support the Canes,” added Rincon.
Miami next faces Florida State at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 6 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Complex.
1. #78 Piotr Lomacki (UM) def. #60 Jathan Malik (MI) 7-6, 6-2
2. #81 Christian Langmo (UM) def. Alex Knight (MI) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Carter Lin (MI) def. Max Andrews (UM) 7-6, 6-0
4. Jesse Flores (UM) def. Runhao Hua (MI) 7-6, 7-6
5. Kevin Wong (MI) def. Fermin Calvo (UM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Myles Schalet (MI) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Alex Knight/Runhao Hua (MI) def. Jesse Flores/Christian Langmo (UM) 6-3
2. Jathan Malik/Kevin Wong (MI) def. Nile Clark/Piotr Lomacki (UM) 7-5
3. Bernard Tefel/Max Andrews (UM) def. Maks Tekavec/Tyler Gardiner (MI) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,3,1,2,4)