@CanesMensTennis Downs UCF
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team defeated the UCF Knights, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
“I thought we had a very good start in doubles that carried on the entire match. It was very important for us to jump on that early and our guys were closing out the points very well,” head coach Mario Rincon said.
Miami was able to secure the first point, after winning two of the three sets in doubles. To initiate doubles play at the No. 1 position, sophomore Christian Langmo and junior Jesse Flores defeated Inaki Espindola and Jack Thiessen in a tiebreaker set, 7-5.
Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark took the No. 2 position clinching the win for Miami, 6-0, in a dominating performance against Chris Barrus and Jose Sangroniz.
To wrap up doubles play, junior Max Andrews and sophomore Kevin Bondar left their match unfinished at 4-4 against Nico De Fraia and Mariano Porter.
After setting a commanding tone in doubles, the Canes headed into singles play leading the Knights 1-0. No. 107-ranked Andrews played a powerful two sets against Chris Barrus, defeating him, 6-2, 6-1. At the No. 1 spot, No. 23 Piotr Lomacki defeated Jose Sangroniz, 6-2, 6-3. Freshman Fermin Calvo swept Reece Acree, 6-2, 6-3. At No. 2, Langmo played a three-set thriller to take down Inaki Espindola and clinch the win for Miami, 6-3, 2-6, 6-1.
Junior Bernard Tefel fell to Nico De Fraia, 7-6, 6-2. Flores dropped his third tiebreaker set against Mariano Porter, 7-6, 6-7, 1-0.
“UCF is a good team and we also got an upset on almost every court and that really helped us. Our guys are growing as a team and are putting it together, and for us coaches it’s nice to see,” Rincon said.
The Hurricanes will face No. 46 Troy University at 12 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 30 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Stay up to date with the Canes on HurricaneSports.com. To interact with the UM men’s tennis team socially, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter and Instagram and like the team on Facebook.com/CanesMensTennis.
Miami 5, UCF 2
1. #23 Piotr Lomacki (UM) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
2. #70 Christian Langmo (UM) def. Inaki Espindola (UCF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
3. #107 Max Andrews (UM) def. Chris Barrus (UCF) 6-2, 6-1
4. Mariano Porter (UCF) def. Jesse Flores (UM) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0
5. Fermin Calvo (UM) def. Reece Acree (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nico De Fraia (UCF) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 7-6, 6-2
1. Christian Langmo/Jesse Flores (UM) def. Inaki Espindola/Jack Thiessen (UCF) 7-5
2. Piotr Lomacki/Nile Clark (UM) def. Chris Barrus/Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-0
3. Max Andrews/Kevin Bondar (UM) vs. Mariano Porter/Nico De Fraia (UCF) 4-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,5,2,6,4)