Men's Tennis Falls to FSU in ACC Championship
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The ninth-seeded University of Miami men’s tennis team was defeated by the eighth-seeded Florida State, 4-0, in the ACC Championship Thursday morning in Cary, N.C.
“Our guys did a good job coming back from a set down in four courts and giving us a chance,” said Coach Mario Rincon. “Wilfredo and Henrique were in a battle in their third sets, and Gabriel was up a match point when the match was called. Our team fought very hard, and I’m proud of their effort.”
The Seminoles secured the doubles point winning two of the three doubles matches, then picked up one singles victory to secure the match win and move on in the ACC Championship.
Senior duo Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto were overcome by Michael Rinaldi and Garyson Goldin 8-3. William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto were able to keep close to Blake Davis and Cristian Gonzales, but were ultimately defeated 8-6. Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez’ match against Dominic Cotrone and Marco Nunez went unfinished after FSU secured the doubles point.
In singles, No. 68 Aly was defeated by No. 72 Dominic Cotrone, 6-1, 6-4, in the number one position, then William Albanese had the same fate, falling to Garyson Goldin, 6-1, 6-1. This gave the Seminoles a 3-0 lead on the Canes.
The Canes needed to win the final four singles matches, and in tough battles, all four were all pushed to the third set. Ultimately, senior Soto was surpassed by his opponent, Marco Nunez (6-2, 5-7, 6-4) allowing the Seminoles to secure the win. The remainder of the singles matches went unfinished.
Miami, an NCAA Tournament bubble team, will now await its fate for a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Team selection will take place on Tuesday, April 29 at 5 p.m. and individual selections will take place on Wednesday, April 30 at 6 p.m. Both events will be broadcast on NCAA.com. Division I Championships will take place May 15-26 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga.
#30 FSU 4, #53 Miami 0
1. No. 72 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. No. 68 Omar Aly (UM) 6-1, 6-4
2. Cristian Gonzales (FSU) and Gabriel Flores (UM) unfinished
3. Marco Nunez (FSU) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
4. Blake Davis (FSU) and Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) unfinished
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) and Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) unfinished
6. Garyson Goldin (FSU) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Dominic Cotrone/Marco Nunez (FSU) and Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) unfinished
2. Michael Rinaldi/Garyson Goldin (FSU) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-3
3. Blake Davis/Cristian Gonzales (FSU) def. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (6, 1, 3)