No. 12 Notre Dame Defeats No. 46 Men's Tennis
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 46 University of Miami men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 12 University of Notre Dame, 7-0, Friday at the Courtney Tennis Center in South Bend, Ind.
“We were outplayed by a really good Notre Dame team today,” said head coach Mario Rincon. “Omar and Wilfredo had a solid win in doubles at number one, but we were overpowered in singles today.”
Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez were able to take home a win against Alex Lawson and Billy Pecor, 8-4, in the first position, but the Canes lost in the other two matches to surrender the doubles point. Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto were overcome by Greg Andrews and Josh Hagar, 8-3, and the freshman duo of Daniel Shebshayevich and Bernard Tefel put up a good fight, but were defeated 8-5 by Matt Dooley and Quentin Monaghan.
No. 70 Aly played against No. 20 Greg Andrews, but was defeated 6-1, 6-0, in the number one position. Flores finished soon after, falling 6-2, 6-0, to Ryan Brandy.
Freshman Tefel played valiantly but it was not enough, as he was defeated by Eric Schnurrenberger, 6-1, 6-2. Tsukamoto was able to take a lead in his second set against Eddy Covalschi, but was overcome in the end, 6-1, 6-4. Gonzalez won four games in each of his sets, but Josh Hagar defeated him, 6-4, 6-4.
Soto was the only Cane to win a set against the Fighting Irish as he pushed his match against No. 89 Quentin Monaghan to a tiebreaker. Soto fell 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 to end the match.
The Hurricanes will travel to Massachusetts for their final ACC road match against Boston College on Sunday April 13 at 5 p.m. The match will be played indoors. The Canes are now 13-9 this spring season, with an ACC record of 3-6.
Stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#12 Notre Dame 7, #46 Miami 0
1. No. 20 Greg Andrews (ND) def. No. 70 Omar Aly (UM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Ryan Brandy (ND) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 89 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-3
4. Josh Hagar (ND) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-1, 6-4
6. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Alex Lawson/Billy Pecor (ND) 8-4
2. Greg Andrews/Josh Hagar (ND) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-3
3. MattDooley/Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Daniel Shebshayevich/Bernard Tefel (UM) 8-5
Miami 13-9 (3-6 ACC)
Notre Dame 15-8 (5-4 ACC)
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (1, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3)