Despite Wilson's Record Game, UM Falls to FSU
22-8 • 11-7 ACC
21-10 • 11-7 ACC
|5||Yashira Delgado, Leonor Rodrigez|
|3||Stefanie Yderstrom, Morgan Stroman|
MARCH 8, 2013
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Shawnice Wilson had 18 points and a career-best 18 rebounds for the Hurricanes, but Alexa Deluzio scored 11 of her 19 points in the final six minutes to lead No. 23 Florida State past Miami 70-58 on Friday in an Atlantic Coast Conference quarterfinal.
Chelsea Davis added 15 points and Yashira Delgado had 12 for the fourth-seeded Seminoles (22-8). They won their first ACC tournament game since 2009 – also the last time they reached the semifinals.
Suriya McGuire added 13 points for the fifth-seeded Hurricanes (21-10). The Canes closed the game to 48-44 on Wilson’s three-point play with 7:21 left.
Deluzio followed by hitting two sets of free throws to put Florida State up by eight. Her 3-pointer with 3:45 left then stretched the lead to 57-48 and the Seminoles made their free throws from there.
Chasity Clayton finished with 10 points for Florida State.
Morgan Stroman added 12 points and 12 rebounds for Miami, her eighth double-double of the season.
Florida State and Miami met for the 44th time in program history Friday, with the Seminoles owning the overall series, 33-11. In the two regular season meetings, Florida State went 2-0 against the Hurricanes, winning by an average of 18.0 points per game.
• First meeting between Miami and Florida State in the ACC Tournament.
Florida State (22-8, 11-7 ACC)
• Florida State is now 18-0 when four or more players score in double ﬁgures.
• The Seminoles advance to the semiﬁ nals for the third time in program history (2001, 2009).
• With ﬁve dimes Friday, Junior Cheetah Delgado now has 134 career assists – which moves her into ninth place on the Seminoles all-time list.
• Senior Chelsea Davis scored 15 points, the 41st time in her career that Davis scored in double ﬁgures.
• Morgan Toles grabbed a career-high tying eight rebounds Friday
• At the 10:06 mark in the ﬁ rst half, Chasity Clayon became the 29th Seminole ever to score 1,000 points… She scored 10 points today…Clayton hadn’t scored since injuring her ankle at North Carolina on Jan. 31.
• Cheetah Delgado scored 10 points – her second double ﬁ gure scoring game of the season…Delgado’s three highest scoring games this season all came against Miami (she had 14 at Miami and nine in Tallahassee against the Hurricanes).
• First Team All-ACC selection Leonor Rodriguez has now scored 47 combined points in the three meetings with Miami this season.
Miami (21-10, 11-7 ACC)
• First Team All-ACC selection Morgan Stroman notched her team-leading ninth double-double of the season after posting 12 points and 12 rebounds. Stroman now has double-digit rebounds in 12 games this season.
• After dominating the paint against Virginia Tech Thursday (17 pts, 8 reb.), senior Shawnice Wilson scored 18 points and grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds to post her seventh double-double of the season, and her fourth double-double in the last six games.
• Wilson’s 18 rebounds puts her for in a tie for fourth on the ACC Tournament’s all-time list and sets a new Miami ACC Tournament record for rebounds in a game. The Miami record was previously held by Shenise Johnson who had 14 boards in a 2012 semifinal matchup with North Carolina.
• After holding Virginia Tech to a ACC Tournament record for fewest points (39) and ﬁeld goal percentage (.269, 14-for-52) in the ﬁrst round, the Hurricanes defense allowed 70+ points for just the sixth time this season.