The University of Miami’s Department of Athletic Care is deeply concerned with both the short-term and long term effects of intercollegiate competition on the physical and mental wellbeing of the student-athlete. The Athletic Training Staff is committed to providing health care to all student-athletes, which begins with injury prevention. It is a priority to work with coaches, physicians, and the rest of the medical community to ensure that student-athletes are physically and mentally prepared for practice and competition.
Additionally, the Athletic Training Staff is responsible for the treatment and rehabilitation of all athletically related injuries. It is the staff’s goal to return the student-athlete to a level equal or above that of their pre-injury status. Student-athletes will not return to play until his or her or their highest post-injury level of function has been achieved.
Lastly, the concern for the physical wellbeing of the student-athlete includes the opposition to the use of all illegal and NCAA-banned chemical substances by student-athlete. It is the responsibility of the Athletic Training Staff to provide student-athletes. It is the responsibility of the Athletic Training Staff to provide student-athletes with information on the ill effects of drug use and to provide deterrents through periodic, random drug testing by the institution and the NCAA.
All members of the Athletic Training Staff will strive to have the overall health and welfare of all student-athletes as their primary objective. The Athletic Training Staff will serve all individuals fairly, consistently, and with unbridled enthusiasm and customer service. The Athletic Training Staff will embrace the vision statement in order to achieve the overall mission.
The Athletic Training Staff will embrace the following guiding principals in order to achieve the overall mission:
- Providing professional leadership and counseling to all student-athletes.
- Participating in a holistic development of the student-athlete’s health and wellbeing.
- Serving as a major intellectual and creative resource for the University of Miami Department of Athletics.
- Continue to develop relationships with the campus community and the University Health System.
- Maintaining fiscal and operational integrity through sound management practices.
- Functioning at high levels of accountability and productivity in all initiatives, programs, and operations.
- Promoting character development, leadership and sportsmanship.
- Supporting the mission, goals and objectives of the Department of Athletics at the University of Miami as a whole.