St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
West Park HS
At Miami: Two-year letterwinner…competed with the varsity eight in 2004-05…gold medalist in the championship eight at the Head of the Creek…won a gold medal in the open eight and bronze medal in the championship four at the Head of the Hooch… finished fourth in the varsity eight in the Women’s Cal Cup Grand Final at the San Diego Crew Classic…selected as part of the ACC Crew of the Week (4/4/04)…gold medalist in the varsity four and silver medalist in the varsity eight at the FIRA State Championships …finished fourth in the varsity eight at the ACC Championships… claimed a victory over Duke in the varsity four at Indian Creek… named to the 2004-05 ACC All-Academic team competed with the junior varsity eight and the varsity eight in 2003-04…undefeated during the fall 2003 season…gold medalist at both the 2003 Head of the Chattahoochee Regatta and the 2004 FIRA State Championships…silver medalist at the 2004 San Diego Crew Classic…bronze medalist at the 2004 BIG EAST Championships …majoring in environmental science. St. Catharines Rowing Club: Coached by Mike Thompson…Gold medalist at 2002 Canadian Henley…five-time gold medalist at 2002 and 2003 Ontario’s…Bronze medalist at 2002 Head of the Charles…two-time gold medalist at Head of the Ohio.
1. Interests and hobbies outside of Rowing: Roller blading, socializing with friends.
2. List any academic honors you’ve won or class/club offices held : Honor Roll 1999-2003 and Student Council Vice President 2003.
3. Why did you choose the University of Miami? Location, campus (nice!), and the rowing program.
4. What was your first impression of Miami? Wow! It’s muggy here.
5. Who is your favorite athlete, Why? Buffy Alexander-She’s tough.
6. Why did you start rowing? My cousin rowed and I liked it.
7. When did you start rowing? Ninth grade (1999).
8.What challenges did/do you face as a novice rower? Coordination, lack of strength.
9. What changes have you recently made to improve your rowing technique? Weight training for better power.
10. What is your best rowing memory? Winning the Canadian Henley in 2002 and winning the Canadian Schoolboy in the pair 2003 and the entire season.
11. Would you ever consider rowing as a “life sport”? Absolutely! You can do it no matter how old you get.
12. Any superstitions before regattas? No.
13. What advice would you give young people? Don’t get frustrated, just try harder.
14. What did you do this summer? LOTS of rowing and working on a farm.
15. What are your goals at Miami both in sports and outside sports? To get good grades and row my heart out.