ACC Announces Winter Unity Week
GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – As part of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s continued commitment to social justice and racial equity, the league has announced plans for the conference’s second Unity Week, which will be held during the final week of Black History Month, Feb. 20-28.
“Diversity, inclusion and a commitment to racial and social equity have been, and will continue to be, pillars of our organization,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips. “Unity Week allows ACC athletes, coaches and administrators from all backgrounds to come together and celebrate our differences, while working together to improve racial and social issues that confront us all.”
ACC Unity Weeks are an initiative of the ACC’s Committee for Racial and Social Justice (CORE – Champions of Racial Equity) and have been developed in conjunction with its 15 member institutions. The league celebrated Unity Week in the fall (Oct. 24-31) and has plans for an additional Unity Week in the spring.
In conjunction with winter Unity Week, the conference office will create content throughout February to celebrate Black History Month, which will culminate in league-wide celebration of the ACC’s diversity across all member institutions. ACC student-athletes will share their stories on the importance of Black History Month, leadership, education and changing the generational divide.
Each of the ACC’s winter sports are in action during the upcoming Unity Week, including five Olympic Sports Championships – Women’s Swimming & Diving (Feb. 17-20), Men’s Swimming & Diving (Feb. 24-27), Indoor Track & Field (Feb. 25-27), Fencing (Feb. 27-28) and Wrestling (Feb. 28). All competing men’s and women’s basketball teams are also scheduled to see action that week. UNITE videos will be played at each of the Olympic Sport championships, and at men’s and women’s basketball games teams will recognize a Unity moment prior to the national anthem.
As part of ESPN’s celebration of “Black History Always,” ACC Network’s February schedule includes a one-hour virtual roundtable on former ACC Trailblazers on Monday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. and a feature on Duke field hockey student-athlete Darcy Bourne on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 10 p.m.
Among the ACC’s initiatives during Unity Week:
- Social Media
- All league social handle profile pictures will feature the ACC UNITE logo
- The ACC will highlight specific themes of UNITY each day of the week (below)
- Conference office will produce a video highlighting our institution’s diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- ACC has provided all student-athletes a UNITE wristband to wear during the week
- ACC Network
- UNITE logo will be included in ACCN television broadcasts
- Packer and Durham/ACCN to wear UNITE shirts and wristbands on air
- Virtual roundtable hosted by Dalen Cuff on former ACC Trailblazers (ACC Unite: No Struggle, No Progress) on Monday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.
- Feature on Duke field hockey student-athlete Darcy Bourne on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 10 p.m.
- Unity Week information and initiatives will be highlighted on the league’s communications platforms
ACC Unity Week Daily Themes – “Leadership Matters”
- Monday, Feb. 22: “Why Leadership Matters” – the importance of leadership in unifying people for a common, positive goal
- Tuesday, Feb. 23: “What Leaders Do You Admire?” – celebrating the leaders who inspire us
- Wednesday, Feb. 24: “Leadership In The Community” – highlighting those who demonstrate leadership by service to their community
- Thursday, Feb. 25: “I Lead By” – demonstrating leadership in different forms and styles
- Friday, Feb. 26: “We Are All Leaders” – everyone is a leader, despite position or title