The University of Miami Athletic Communications office is seeking student assistants to work as part of the communications staff during the 2021-22 school year.
To apply for a position as a student assistant, please send a resume and a writing sample to Megan Barnes, Associate Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS STUDENT ASSISTANT
Athletic Communications Student Assistants will receive hands-on, real-world experience in the field of athletic communications. They will assist full-time sport contacts with various weekly and gameday tasks. This position is unpaid but may be used for class credit on a case-by-case basis.
What you will DO:
- Write previews, feature stories, recaps and produce Q&As for Miami teams
- Update coach and student-athlete biographies
- Maintain digital archive for various sports through photo uploading and tagging
- Conduct historical research for big games, prominent players, etc.
- Learn statistical programs for a variety of sports
- Serve as gameday support for any of the 16 sports at Miami
- NOTE: student assistants will be required to work MOST football home games
- Update and/or edit statistical material provided to national broadcasters for games
- Assist with in-game social media duties including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
- Create content (graphics, videos, photos) for multiple programs and platforms
- Other duties as assigned
What you will BRING:
- MUST be a current UM student
- Previous communications, public relations or journalism experience
- Be willing to work nights/weekends (i.e. home football/basketball/baseball games)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with design software (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) (preferred, not required)
- Knowledge of athletics (sport-specific rules, protocol, etc.) (preferred, not required)
- Interest in learning new things and improving your skillset!
What you will GET:
- Opportunity to gain valuable athletic communication experience
- Interact with a wide-range of athletic department employees, coaches and student-athletes
- Develop communications skills necessary to obtain a post-graduate position in the industry
- Networking opportunities