Illiana Christian HS
At Miami: Three-year letterwinner…competed in the varsity eight in 2004-05…finished fourth in the Cal Cup Grand Final at the San Diego Crew Classic…garnered ACC Crew of the Week honors on April 4th…finished second in the varsity eight at the FIRA State Championships…finished fourth in the varsity eight at the ACC Championships… claimed a victory over Duke in the varsity four…was named to the 2004-05 ACC Honor Roll…competed with the Varsity eight 2003-04…gold medalist at the 2–4 FIRA State Championships…silver medalist at the 2004 San Diego Crew Classic…bronze medalist at the 2004 Big East Championships…member of the 2004 CRCA All-Regional Team…gold medalist in Freshman/Novice 8+ and Freshman/Novice 4+ at the 2003 FIRA State Championships…bronze medalist with the Novice Eight at the 2003 BIG EAST Championships…placed 12 Lexus Central/South Region Sprints 2004…majoring in marine science and biology. Illinois Christian: Three sport athlete…basketball, cross country and track…assisted basketball team to 5th place finish in the state in 2002…assisted the 2x800m relay team to a 9th place finish in the state in 2002.
1. Interests and hobbies outside of Rowing: Basketball, running, camping, hiking, travelling, rock climbing, scuba diving, painting,and eating ice cream.
2. List any academic honors you’ve won or class/club offices held: High Honor Roll, valedictorian, National Honor Society, National Merit Qualifier.
3. Why did you choose the University of Miami? Marine Biology program, academic scholarship, location by the ocean, something new and different and to get away from home.
4. What was your first impression of Miami? Stinking hot, air so thick you eat it, not breathe it. I still like it alright though!
5. Why did you start rowing? Got a flyer and thought I’d give it a try. I did cross country, basketball and track all throughout high school and knew I couldn’t go from year round training to nothing.
6. When did you start rowing? Last year-walk on novice.
7. What challenges did/do you face as a novice rower? Getting up at 5 am and trying to be a morning person. Never getting enough sleep or finding time to do homework…setting up the boat.
8. What changes have you recently made to improve your rowing technique? Working on not overcompressing and relaxing the inside half.
9. What is your best rowing memory? Rowing with the freshman 8 last spring; probably FIRA’s where both of our boats kicked butt!
10. Would you ever consider rowing as a “life sport”? Of course. You should see all the old people who erg at my gym back home. I’m the only young one!
11. Any superstitions before regattas? No.
12. What did you do this summer? I went to Indonesia to a remote uninhabited island for 5 weeks and worked on research projects in the marine stakeholder zone there.
13. What are your goals at Miami both in sports and outside sports? To do my best and have fun doing it.