Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Runnymade C.I. HS
At Miami: Two-year letter winner…competed with varsity eight in 2004-05…gold medalist in the championship eight and four at the Head of the Creek…won a gold medal in the open eight at the Head of the Hooch…finished fourth in the varsity eight in the Women’s Cal Cup Grand Final at the San Diego Crew Classic…selected as part of the ACC Crew of the Week (4/4/04)…silver medalist in the varsity eight at the FIRA State Championships…finished fourth in the varsity eight at the ACC Championships… named to the 2004-05 ACC Academic Honor Roll …competed with the Varsity four and Novice eight in 2003-04…Gold medalist at both the 2003 Head of the Chattahoochee Regatta and the 2004 FIRA State Championships…Silver medalist at the 2004 BIG EAST Championships…placed fifth at the 2004 Lexus Central/Southern Sprints…majoring in psychology. Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club: Coached by Heather Cartwright…first at the 2001 Indoor Rowing Championships…Gold medalist at the 2003 CanAmMex Regatta in Mexico City, representing Canada…fourth at the 2003 Canadian and Ontario Indoor Rowing Championships…third at the 2003 Royal Canadian Hanlay Regatta in the Senior B Women’s 4-.
1. Interests and hobbies outside of Rowing: Swimming, running and volleyball. 2. List any academic honors you’ve won or class/club offices held: Honor Roll in 10th and 12th grade.
3. Why did you choose the University of Miami? It seemed like the ideal place to row. Not having to do inside training for half the year was a big plus.
4. What was your first impression of Miami? When I first saw Miami I was in love with it. The campus is so beautiful and the people are so nice. I don’t know why people wouldn’t want to go there.
5. Why did you start rowing? I chose rowing because at the time I wasn’t doing any kind of sport, and that was just after I saw the Olympics and thought that rowing might be fun. And I have been rowing ever since.
6. When did you start rowing? I started rowing when I was 12 yrs. old. That was 6 yrs. ago.
7. What changes have you recently made to improve your rowing technique? I have had to change the level where I pull my hands at the finish so I am not digging.
8. What is your best rowing memory? Summer 2003- Placing 3rd at the Henley Regatta.
9. Would you ever consider rowing as a “life sport”? Yes, if it is what you love I think you could do it your entire life.
10. Any superstitions before regattas? Before a regatta I have a carrot muffin and a fruit punch from Tim Horton’s.
11. What advice would you give young people? Don’t give up just because something seems hard. Try, try again.
12. What did you do this summer? This summer I rowed with the competitive woman at Argonaut Rowing Club and also made the CanAmMax Team and went to Mexico.
13. What are your goals at Miami both in sports and outside sports? I would like to be on varsity crew this spring and hold a GPA above a 3.0.