W. Tennis Storms Past No. 61 Florida State, 6-1
CORAL GABLES, FLA. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team rolled to a dominant 6-1 victory Friday afternoon against No. 61 Florida State at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
No. 12 Miami (9-2, 4-1 ACC) dropped just three sets on the day, improving its all-time record against the Seminoles to 37-9, including 16-2 at home.
“Happy to get a solid ‘W’ today,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We played well in doubles and solidified with tough singles. It’s always nice to beat FSU.”
Miami started with a one-match edge in doubles, as Florida State (6-6, 1-4 ACC) had just five players available. Thus, sophomores Audrey Boch-Collins and Isabella Pfennig won by walkover.
The Hurricanes clinched the other two matches within the span of two minutes. First third-year sophomores Diana Khodan and Maya Tahan, ranked No. 72, sealed the opening point with a 6-2 decision against Victoria Allen and Kianah Motosono.
The other match was played out, with Miami’s fourth-year junior Daevenia Achong and fifth-year senior Eden Richardson needing just two more points to win. The nation’s No. 16 pair got them, winning at deuce, to take a 6-4 result from Anna Arkadianou and Petra Hule.
Freshman Tatyana Nikolenko won by walkover to begin singles, immediately extending Miami’s lead to 2-0.
No. 112 Pfennig upped the advantage to 3-0 by defeating Olympe Lancelot, 6-2, 6-2. Not long after, the Hurricanes sealed the match.
Khodan earned the Hurricanes’ clinching point by registering a 6-1, 6-4 decision versus Motosono. The remaining matches were all played out, with two of them going to Miami.
No. 56 Achong notched a comeback win over Allen, 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3), to give her team a 5-0 advantage. Florida State, in the lone ranked matchup, then tallied its lone point, as No. 16 Hule narrowly beat No. 58 Richardson, 6-4, 7-5.
In the last contest of the day, Boch-Collins finished off a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Arkadianou to make it a 6-1 final score.
Up next for Miami is a trip to Blacksburg, Va., where it takes the court Friday at 3 p.m. against Virginia Tech.
1. No. 16 Daevenia Achong/Eden Richardson (UM) def. Anna Arkadianou/Petra Hule (FS), 6-4
2. No. 72 Diana Khodan/Maya Tahan (UM) def. Victoria Allen/Kianah Motosono (FS), 6-2
3. Audrey Boch-Collins/Isabella Pfennig (UM), win by walkover
1. No. 16 Petra Hule (FS) def. No. 58 Eden Richardson (UM), 6-4, 7-5
2. No. 56 Daevenia Achong (UM) def. Victoria Allen (FS), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
3. No. 112 Isabella Pfennig (UM) def. Olympe Lancelot (FS), 6-2, 6-2
4. Audrey Boch-Collins (UM) def. Anna Arkadianou (FS), 6-3, 7-5
5. Diana Khodan (UM) def. Kianah Motosono (FS), 6-1, 6-4
6. Tatyana Nikolenko (UM), win by walkover