W. Tennis Logs 7-0 Sweep at FGCU
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team started its 2022 dual match slate in style Thursday afternoon with a 7-0 road win over FGCU.
Miami (1-0) cruised in doubles and then won all six singles matches, including four in straight sets, to sweep the Eagles at the FGCU Tennis Complex. It marked the 46th time in the program’s 50 years the Hurricanes opened their campaign with a victory.
“I think we had a solid start today,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I think we came out strong in doubles and continued through singles. It’s always fun to start things off. We had good energy that has to continue.”
Action started 35 minutes late due to wet courts, but once it did, the Hurricanes quickly cruised past FGCU (2-2) in doubles. Fourth-year junior Daevenia Achong and fifth-year senior Eden Richardson, together ranked No. 40, got on the board first by blanking Emma Bardet and Ida Ferding, 6-0.
Sophomores Audrey Boch-Collins and Isabella Pfennig clinched the doubles point with a 6-1 victory against Fanny Norin and Jordana Ossa. The final match was played out and it went to the Miami third-year sophomore duo of Diana Khodan and Maya Tahan, 6-2, over Isabella Colmenareas and Alba Retortillo.
No. 104 Achong doubled the lead with the first singles decision, a thorough 6-0, 6-1 triumph against Norin. Boch-Collins, playing in a dual match for Miami for the first time, upped the edge to 3-0 with an equally strong showing against Ferding, whom she beat, 6-1, 6-1.
Richardson, also in her first dual for the Hurricanes, provided the clinching point by defeating Colmenares, 7-5, 6-2. Each of the three remaining matches continued on and eventually went to Miami.
First, Tahan notched a 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5) win over Lola Glantz and then Khodan tallied a comeback decision of her own. Much like her doubles partner, Khodan dropped the first set and then controlled play the rest of the way, earning a 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 1-0 (10-2) result versus Retortillo.
No. 76 Pfennig finished off the afternoon for Miami by edging Bardet, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2). That victory sealed Yaroshuk-Tews’ 155th sweep in 21 years as the Hurricanes’ head coach, including her 98th since the start of the 2009 campaign.
To keep up with the University of Miami women’s tennis team on social media, follow @CanesWTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
1. No. 40 Daevenia Achong/Eden Richardson (UM) def. Emma Bardet/Ida Ferding (FG), 6-0
2. Diana Khodan/Maya Tahan (UM) def. Isabella Colmenareas/Alba Retortillo (FG), 6-2
3. Audrey Boch-Collins/Isabella Pfennig (UM) def. Fanny Norin/Jordana Ossa (FG), 6-1
1. Eden Richardson (UM) def. Isabella Colmenareas (FG), 7-5, 6-2
2. No. 76 Isabella Pfennig (UM) def. Emma Bardet (FG), 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
3. No. 104 Daevenia Achong (UM) def. Fanny Norin (FG), 6-0, 6-1
4. Audrey Boch-Collins (UM) def. Ida Ferding (FG), 6-1, 6-1
5. Diana Khodan (UM) def. Alba Retortillo (FG), 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 1-0 (10-2)
6. Maya Tahan (UM) def. Lola Glantz (FG), 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
Cover image is courtesy of Adam Koszo