W. Tennis Edged at Baylor, 4-3
By Teodor Handarov
WACO, Texas – The University of Miami women’s tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but fell to Baylor by the narrowest of margins Sunday afternoon, 4-3.
Both in doubles and singles competition, it came down to the last matchup. Even though Miami (2-3) grabbed the doubles point and took care of business at the top of the lineup, it was ultimately Camilla Abbate of Baylor (3-5) who decided the match with a three-set victory over junior Ana Madcur 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
“Disappointing day for us,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We are down two pretty important players and we are playing like we have cushion to work with.”
The doubles point was decided in a tiebreaker on court two where sophomore Dominika Paterova and junior Daniella Roldan faced Theresa Van Zyl and Angie Shakhraichuk. The Hurricanes held off the Lady Bears, 7-4, to put Miami in the lead.
Junior Sinead Lohan and freshman Ulyana Shirokova got their team going by blanking Abbate and Dominika Sujova, but Baylor’s top duo of Kris Sorokolet and Jessica Hinojosa kept the Lady Bears in doubles contention after downing the No. 33 pair of junior Ana Madcur and sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, 6-3.
In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – No. 16 Perez-Somarriba and No. 58 Lohan – grabbing straight-set victories. The former lost only a game to Van Zyl for a 6-0, 6-1 triumph, while the latter prevailed convincingly over Sorokolet 6-3, 6-0.
Baylor, receiving votes in the Oracle/ITA poll, tallied its first point of the day from Shakhraichuk, who defeated Roldan, 6-0, 6-3.
The Lady Bears impressed at the bottom of the lineup, as their only nationally-ranked singles player, No. 101 Kraus, topped Shirokova, 6-4, 6-0.
Paterova could not carry the momentum from her doubles triumph into singles play and was bested by Hinjosa, 1-6, 4-6.
The Hurricanes, return to the Sunshine State next week to take on Georgia State Feb. 24 in Fort Myers, Fla., at 2 p.m.
1. Kris Sorokolet/Jessica Hinjosa (BU) def. No. 33 Estela Perez-Somarriba/Ana Madcur (UM), 6-3
2. Dominika Paterova/Daniella Roldan (UM)…Theresa Van Zyl/Angie Shakhraichuk (BU)
3. Sinead Lohan/Ulyana Shirokova (UM) def. Camilla Abbate/Dominika Sujova (BU), 6-0
1. No. 16 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. Theresa Van Zyl (BU), 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 58 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. Kris Sorokolet (BU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Daniella Roldan (UM), 6-0, 6-3
4. Camilla Abbate (BU) def. Ana Madcur (UM), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. No. 101 Livia Kraus (BU) def. Ulyana Shirokova (UM), 6-4, 6-0
6. Jessica Hinjosa (BU) def. Dominika Paterova (UM), 6-1, 6-4