W. Tennis Falls at No. 13 Auburn, 4-2
AUBURN, Ala. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 13 Auburn Sunday in ITA Kick-Off Weekend action and will consequently miss out on the ITA National Team Indoor Championship next month.
Despite grabbing singles victories from No. 36 Estela Perez-Somarriba, a sophomore, and junior Ana Madcur, No. 17 Miami (1-1) never led against Auburn (5-0) at the Yarbough Tennis Center.
“We were outplayed by a good Auburn team today,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Unfortunately, we were vulnerable at some spots where Auburn wasn’t. The line between winning and losing a match of that caliber is super fine. I want this squad responding fast and positive from today. We must learn and move forward.”
Madcur and Perez-Somarriba were on their way to a victory against Auburn’s top duo of Alizee Michaud and Jaeda Daniel, but play was halted at 5-3 after the Tigers won the other two matchups.
Georgie Axon and Alannah Griffin tallied the first victory of the day, 6-3, against Miami senior Sinead Lohan and freshman Ulyana Shirokova. Taylor Russo and Madeline Meredith downed junior Daniella Roldan and sophomore Dominika Paterova by the same 6-3 margin.
The only time the Hurricanes were on level terms with the Tigers was following Perez-Somarriba’s 6-2, 6-3, victory against No. 77 Russo. However, shortly thereafter, Meredith notched a two-set victory against Paterova, 6-4, 6-2, to put the Tigers back in the lead.
Roldan started out strong in her match, taking the first set against Michaud, but the former top-10 player in the nation came back to post a 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 victory.
Madcur then kept Miami in the contest with a hard-fought 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) win against Caroline Turner, but it would prove to be the final point for the Hurricanes.
In another ranked matchup, No. 53 Daniel recovered from a heavy defeat in set two and defeated Lohan, 7-6 (7-5), 0-6, 6-3, to send the Tigers to the elite competition in Madison, Wis.
In the final singles matchup, Shirokova had a narrow third-set lead over Andie Dikosavljevic, 7-5, 5-7, 3-2.
1. Estela Perez-Somarriba/Ana Madcur (UM) vs. Alizee Michaud/Jaeda Daniel (AU), 5-3, unf.
2. Taylor Russo/Madeline Meredith (AU) def. Dominika Paterova/Daniella Roldan (UM), 6-3
3. Georgie Axon/Alannah Griffin (AU) def. Sinead Lohan/Ulyana Shirokova (UM), 6-3
1. No. 36 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) def. No. 77 Taylor Russo (AU), 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 53 Jaeda Daniel (AU) def. No. 41 Sinead Lohan (UM), 7-6, 0-6, 6-3
3. Alizee Michaud (AU) def. Daniella Roldan (UM), 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
4. Madeline Meredith (AU) def. Dominika Paterova (UM), 6-4, 6-2
5. Ulyana Shirokova (UM) vs. Andie Dikosavljevic (AU), 7-5, 5-7, 3-2, unf.
6. Ana Madcur (UM) def. Caroline Turnere (AU), 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)