10th-Ranked W. Tennis Too Much For UNF
February 2, 2013
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -The 10th ranked University of Miami women’stennis team continued its undefeated season with a 7-0 victory over NorthFlorida Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
The Hurricanes (5-0) were led by strong performances fromtop to bottom, including Kelsey Laurente who played No. 1 singles for the firsttime this year and secured a 6-0, 7-5 victory.
|UNF vs. No. 10 Miami|
|Stephanie Wagner||6||7 (3)|
After losing the doubles point for the firsttime this season in their previous match against Arizona State, the Hurricaneswere able to secure a doubles victory with the duos of Lina Lileikite andStepahanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno and Brittany Dubins claiming 8-4 and8-2 victories, respectively.
“We have some things to work on heading to Indoors,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “Doubles was definitely flat at Nos. 1 and 2 and that was disappointing.”
Lina Lileikite got things started for theHurricanes in the singles matches with a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win over NorthFlorida’s Marina Cunningham. This win was quickly followed by Melissa Bolivaroutpacing the Osprey’s Taylor Hollander for a 6-2, 6-1 win.
Moments later, the Hurricanes clinched thevictory as Riobueno downed UNF’s Rebeca Pereira, 6-3, 6-1. Additionally, theHurricanes battled through the two remaining singles bouts with Deborah Suarezwinning 6-3, 6-4 over North Florida’s Melanie Aguirre.
“We bounced back and played some solid singles,” said Yaroshuk-Tews. “We are looking forward to an exciting week of tennis in Viginia.”
Wagner finished things off for Miami with a6-1, 7-6 (7-3) victory in a tough fight against North Florida’s Weymar.
Miami next heads to compete in the ITA NationalIndoor Tournament in Charlottesville, Va., Feb. 8-11.
The Hurricanes will play their next home matchagainst Florida State on Saturday, Feb. 23at 11 a.m.
1. #51 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Lorena Aviles (UNF-W) 6-0, 7-5
2. #57 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Simona Weymar (UNF-W) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Taylor Hollander (UNF-W) 6-1, 6-2
5. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Rebeca Pereira (UNF-W) 6-3, 6-1
6. Deborah Suarez (UM) def. Melanie Aguirre (UNF-W) 6-3, 6-4
1. Kelsey Laurente/Melissa Bolivar (UM) vs. Lorena Aviles/Melanie Aguirre(UNF-W) 7-7, unfinished
2. Stephanie Wagner/Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Taylor Hollander/RebecaPereira (UNF-W) 8-4
3. Clementina Riobueno/Brittany Dubins (UM) def. Simona Weymar/MariellaCalderon (UNF-W) 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,5,1,6,3)