No. 24 Miami Falls to No. 31 North Carolina, 4-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team (12-3, 1-2 ACC) could not find the answer against No. 31 North Carolina (7-5, 2-1 ACC), falling to Tar Heels, 4-0, Friday night at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
North Carolina quickly jumped out to a 1-0 lead after posting a pair of wins at first and third doubles, to clinch the doubles point. Fifth-year senior Benjamin Hannestad and graduate student Dan Martin came up just short, 4-6, to the No. 8 duo of Brian Cernoch and Mac Kiger at first doubles.
Benjamin Sigouin and Peter Murphy tallied a 6-3 win over freshman Martin Katz and fifth-year senior Bojan Jankulovski on court three to secure the doubles point for the Tar Heels. Fourth-year juniors Juan Martin Jalif and Franco Aubone were trailing 3-5 at second doubles when North Carolina recorded the first point of the match.
Jalif’s and Hannestad’s matches on courts five and three, respectively, ended within minutes of each other, both falling short of their respective North Carolina opponents. Jalif faced a 2-6, 3-6 defeat, while Hannestad fell to North Carolina’s Kiger, 4-6, 1-6.
The match was ultimately decided on court four where Vasser could not stave off North Carolina’s Henry Liberman, falling 1-6, 2-6.
At the time the overall match ended, No. 99 Martin was in the midst of a three-set thriller, leading No. 22 Cernoch 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 at first singles. Jankulovski was making a comeback on court two, 4-6, 3-2, while Katz was winning his match at sixth singles, 6-4, 1-2.
The Hurricanes have a quick turnaround before the next match, hosting the No. 40 Duke Blue Devils on Sunday at 12 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
#31 North Carolina 4, #24 Miami 0
- #99 Dan Martin (UM) vs. #22 Brian Cernoch (UNC) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0, unfinished
- Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Benjamin Sigouin (UNC) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
- Mac Kiger (UNC) def. Benjamin Hannestad (UM) 6-4, 6-1
- Henry Lieberman (UNC) def. Oren Vasser (UM) 6-1, 6-2
- Logan Zapp (UNC) def. Juan Martin Jalif (UM) 6-2, 6-3
- Martin Katz (UM) vs. Anuj Watane (UNC) 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
- #8 Brian Cernoch/Mac Kiger (UNC) def. Benjamin Hannestad/Dan Martin (UM) 6-4
- Juan Martin Jalif/Franco Aubone (UM) vs. #57 Logan Zapp/Casey Kania (UNC) 3-5, unfinished
- Benjamin Sigouin/Peter Murphy (UNC) def. Martin Katz/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) 6-3