Men's Tennis Flies Past FGCU, 4-0
FORT MEYERS, Fla. – For the sixth time this season, the University of Miami men’s tennis team garnered a shutout victory.
Squaring off with Florida Gulf Coast at the FGCU Tennis Complex Saturday night, the Hurricanes improved to 7-2 on the season with a 4-0 win over the Eagles.
Similar to the first two matches, Miami jumped out to the early lead through doubles action and never looked back.
Facing off against Felipe Ramirez and Feliksas Sakalauskas at the top doubles position, 14th-ranked sophomore Franco Aubone and junior Benjamin Hannestad collected a 6-3 win.
Moments later, sophomore Francisco Bastias and junior Adria Soriano Barrera, the nation’s 46th-ranked doubles pair, bested Carter Bradford and Guglielmo Stefanacci, 6-4, to lock up the advantageous doubles point.
Competing on court 2, redshirt senior Dane Dunlap and junior Bojan Jankulovski had earned back-to-back games to hold a 5-4 advantage over Juan Montes and Marcelo Tebet when the point was clinched.
In singles, Miami quickly tripled its lead following victories by a pair of Argentines.
In the first match to conclude, Aubone cruised past Juan Lopez, 6-2, 6-2, to give Miami the 2-0 advantage. Within seconds, Miami extended its lead to three, when Bastias topped Montes, 6-1, 6-2.
Following a back-and-forth opening set, Dunlap locked up the team victory, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, over Sakalauskas.
The final three matches remained unfinished, with Miami holding the advantage on all three.
Battling Stefanacci, Jankulovski was just one game away from securing a win, leading 7-5, 5-3 when play was halted.
On court 1, No. 32 Soriano Barrera was looking to complete a comeback after dropping his opening set against Ramirez, 3-6. The Barcelona, Spain, native held a 3-6, 6-2, 3-2 advantage when play stopped.
Meanwhile, Hannestad rebounded from a 4-6 opening set setback, by securing a 7-6 (7-5) second set win to force a third set against Tebet, before Miami secured the win.
Up next, the Hurricanes will travel to Clemson, S.C., on Feb. 21 at 6 p.m. to open ACC play against Clemson.
To keep up with the University of Miami tennis team on social media, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
1. No. 32 Adria Soriano Barrera (UM) vs. Felipe Ramirez (FGCU), 3-6, 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Francisco Bastias (UM) def. Juan Montes (FGCU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Benjamin Hannestad (UM) vs. Marcelo Tebet (FGCU), 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), unfinished
4. Dane Dunlap (UM) def. Feliksas Sakalauskas (FGCU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Guglielmo Stefanacci (FGCU) 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
6. Franco Aubone (UM) def. Juan Lopez (FGCU) 6-2, 6-2
1. No. 14 Aubone/Hannestad (UM) def. Ramirez/Sakalauskas (FGCU), 6-3
2. Dunlap/Jankulovski (UM) vs. Montes/Tebet (FGCU), 5-4
3. No. 46 Bastias/Soriano Barrera (UM) def. Bradford/Stefanacci, 6-4