Miami Falls Against No. 23 Mississippi State, 4-2
FORT MEYERS, Fla. – Facing No. 23 Mississippi State in a neutral site affair Sunday morning, the University of Miami men’s tennis team came up short against the Bulldogs, 2-4, at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
In doubles action, Mississippi State (6-2) garnered the early advantage, claiming victories on courts 1 and 3.
In the first match to conclude, sophomore Francisco Bastias and junior Adria Soriano Barrera came up short against Alberto Colas and Gregor Ramskogler, 4-6. Moments later, Florian Broska and Nicolas Ocana topped ninth-ranked sophomore Franco Aubone and junior Benjamin Hannestad, 6-4.
On court 2, redshirt senior Dane Dunlap and junior Bojan Jankulovski led, 5-3 (40-40), against Giovanni Oradini and Stedman Strickland, when play was halted.
In singles, the Hurricanes (4-2) quickly evened the match when Bastias cruised past No. 101 Davide Tortora, 6-0, 6-1.
However, Mississippi State once again regained an advantage when Ramskogler topped Dunlap, 6-2, 6-3, before Broska defeated Hannestad, 6-2, 7-5.
Looking to regain momentum, junior William Grattan-Smith captured a straight-set victory over Isaac Becroft, 6-3, 6-3, to pull Miami within 1, 2-3.
In the lone match to go three sets, Aubone fought back from an opening set setback, to even the tables in the second, 0-6, 6-1. However, in the final set Alberto Colas pulled away to secure the MSU team victory, 6-0, 1-6, 6-3.
In a top-70 singles battle on court 1, No. 63 Soriano Barrera led No. 15 Oradini, 7-6 (7-3), 4-4, when play was halted.
Up next, the Hurricanes will return home to host South Alabama on Feb. 7 at 11 a.m., before welcoming Florida Atlantic to the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Feb. 9 at noon.
To keep up with the University of Miami tennis team on social media, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
1. No. 63 Adria Soriano Barrer (UM) vs. No. 15 Giovanni Oradini (MS) 7-6 (7-3), 4-4, unfinished
2. Florian Broska (MS) def. Benjamin Hannestad (UM) 6-2, 7-5
3. Gregor Ramskogler (MS) def. Dane Dunlap (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Francisco Bastias (UM) def. No. 101 Davide Tortora (MS) 6-0, 6-1
5. Alberto Colas (MS) def. Franco Aubone (UM) 6-0, 1-6, 6-3
6. Will Grattan-Smith (UM) def. Isaac Becroft (MS) 6-3, 6-3
1. Florian Broska/Nicolas Ocana (MS) def. No. 9 Franco Aubone/Benjamin Hannestad (UM) 6-4
2. Dane Dunlap/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Giovanni Oradini/Stedman Strickland (MS) 5-3, unfinished
3. Alberto Colas/Gregor Ramskogler (MS) def. Francisco Bastias/Adria Soriano Barrer (UM) 6-4
Mississippi State 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,3,2,6,5)