M. Tennis Falls to Virginia, 4-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Taking on fifth-ranked Virginia, the University of Miami men’s tennis team fell, 4-0, Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
In the first doubles match to conclude, redshirt junior Dane Dunlap and junior Stephen Madonia lost against Matthew Lord and Carl Soderlund, 3-6.
Competing on court 2, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias broke to take a 4-3 lead against the nation’s No. 59 doubles tandem, Brandon Nakashima and Henrik Wiersholm. However, the Virginia duo claimed the final three games to seal the doubles point for Virginia, 6-4.
In the lone match to remain unfinished, sophomores Bojan Jankulovski and Tatsuki Shimamoto held a 5-4 advantage over Aswin Lizen and Gianni Ross.
In singles, Virginia quickly doubled its lead when No. 10 Soderlund topped sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 36 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, 6-0, 6-0.
Shortly after, Lizen placed the Cavaliers within a point of clinching after he took down sophomore William Grattan-Smith, 7-5, 6-1.
Competing on court 2, Bastias claimed the opening set against No. 63 Nakashima, 6-4, but dropped the second, 0-6. In the final set Nakashima won the final three games to clinch the match for Virginia, 6-4, 0-6, 4-6.
Three matches remained unfinished, with Miami looking to mount a comeback on all three.
After dropping the opening-set tiebreaker, 6-7 (5-7), Dunlap took the second against Wiersholm, 7-5. The match was all tied at one in the third when play was halted.
Competing on court 5, Aubone held a 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 3-0 advantage over Matthew Lord, while Jankulovski led in the second 5-3, after dropping the first set, 6-7 (6-8).
Miami will wrap up the regular season next weekend with a pair of road matches in the Tar Heel State, beginning with Friday’s noon match against No. 21 NC State in Raleigh, N.C. Two days later, the Hurricanes will battle the defending national champion, third-ranked Wake Forest, in Winston-Salem, N.C., Sunday at 1 p.m.
1. #10 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. #36 A. Soriano Barrera (UM) 6-0, 6-0
2. #63 Brandon Nakashima (VA) def. Francisco Bastias (UM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Dane Dunlap (UM) vs. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
4. #91 Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Gianni Ross (VA) 6-7 (6-8), 5-3, unfinished
5. Franco Aubone (UM) vs. Matthew Lord (VA) 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 3-0, unfinished
6. Aswin Lizen (VA) def. W. Grattan-Smith (UM) 7-5, 6-1
1. Matthew Lord/Carl Soderlund (VA) def. Dane Dunlap/Stephen Madonia (UM) 6-3
2. #59 Brandon Nakashima/Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Franco Aubone/Francisco Bastias (UM) 6-4
3. Bojan Jankulovski/Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM) vs. Aswin Lizen/Gianni Ross (VA) 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,2)