Men's Tennis Sweeps UConn, 4-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – For the seventh time this spring, the University of Miami men’s tennis team swept its opponent, defeating Connecticut, 4-0, Sunday night at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Extending its win streak to six matches, No. 36 Miami (14-4, 5-0 ACC) improves to 10-0 on its home court in 2019, while sitting at 22-2 since the start of the 2018 season.
As has been the case in all 14 team wins, the Hurricanes got the afternoon started off on the right foot by collecting the advantageous doubles point.
Competing on court 1, redshirt junior Dane Dunlap and junior Stephen Madonia won their fourth consecutive match as a pair, taking down Hank Hill and Yili Zheng, 6-2.
Improving to 9-0 as a tandem this spring, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias clinched the doubles point over John Michael Holtman and Jack McClister, 6-3.
In the lone doubles match to go unfinished, sophomores William Grattan-Smith and Bojan Jankulovski held a 4-3 advantage against Evan Powell and Justin Warren.
In singles, it was a race to see who would finish first, as all six opening sets favored the Canes and wrapped up simultaneously.
Quickly doubling the Canes’ lead, Grattan-Smith won the final nine games to take down Warren, 6-3, 6-0.
Moments later, sophomore Tatsuki Shimamoto cruised past Powell, 6-1, 6-1, as Miami took a commanding 3-0 lead in the match.
Competing on court 4, Madonia preserved the sweep with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph over McLister.
Three matches remained unfinished, with the Hurricanes in complete command.
Playing at the top singles position for the first time in his collegiate career, Dunlap held a match point over Holtmann, 6-3, 5-3, when play was halted.
Meanwhile, Jankulovski held a 6-1, 4-0 advantage against Zheng and Aubone led 6-1, 3-3 against Hill.
Up next, the Hurricanes will hit the road for a pair of ACC contests, beginning with a trip to Durham, N.C., on Friday at 5 p.m. to face No. 44 Duke. Miami will then battle seventh-ranked North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
1. Dane Dunlap (UM) vs. J. Michael Holtmann (UC), 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
2. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Yili Zheng (UC), 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
3. Franco Aubone (UM) vs. Hank Hill (UC), 6-1, 3-3, unfinished
4. Stephen Madonia (UM) def. Jack McLister (UC), 6-2, 6-1
5. W. Grattan-Smith (UM) def. Justin Warren (UC), 6-3, 6-0
6. Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM) def. Evan Powell (UC), 6-1, 6-1
1. Dane Dunlap/Stephen Madonia (UM) def. Hank Hill/Yili Zheng (UC), 6-2
2. Franco Aubone/Francisco Bastias (UM) def. J. Michael Holtmann/Jack McLister (UC), 6-3
3. W. Grattan-Smith/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) vs. Evan Powell/Justin Warren (UC), 4-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,6,4)