Canes Sweep Jackson State, 4-0
STARKVILLE, Miss. – In the second match of Friday’s doubleheader, the University of Miami men’s tennis team rolled over Jackson State, 4-0, at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
The Canes did not drop a set against the Tigers, as the Hurricanes improved to 5-2 on the year, while Jackson State fell to 0-6.
The Hurricanes jumped out to the early lead through doubles action and never looked back. Playing on court 2, redshirt junior Dane Dunlap and junior Stephen Madonia took care of business against Thomas Torres and Lebelo Mosehle, 6-1,
Moments later, the Hurricanes’ sophomore tandem of Pablo Aycart Joya and Tatsuki Shimamoto topped Juan Soria and Frit Jacobs, 6-2.
Competing on court 1, sophomores Bojan Janulovski and Adria Soriano Barrera were looking to mount a comeback, down 3-5, before the doubles point was clinched.
In singles, Dunlap and sophomore William Grattan-Smith quickly tripled the Canes lead. Competing at No. 2 singles, Dunlap swept the opening set before closing out the match in dominant fashion, 6-0, 6-1, against Torres.
Playing in his first dual match of the season, Grattan-Smith improved to 3-0 this spring with a 6-1, 6-0 triumph over Jacobs.
Shimamoto went on to clinch the match with a 6-2, 6-4 straight-set victory over Gamo, as the Canes secured their second sweep of the season.
The remaining three matches remained unfinished, with No. 21 Soriano Barrera holding a 7-5, 3-0 advantage over Alawi on court 1.
A game away from picking up his eighth win of the spring, freshman Francisco Bastias led Masehle, 6-1, 5-3, while on court 4, Madonia was on the brink of a straight-set victory against Soria, in front 6-3, 4-0.
Up next, the Canes will travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to battle Iowa on Feb. 8 at 3 p.m. ET, before facing Utah on a neutral court on Feb. 9 at 11 a.m. ET.
To keep up with the University of Miami men’s tennis team on social media, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
1. #21 A. Soriano Barrera (UM) vs. Andrey Alawi (JSU) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
2. Dane Dunlap (UM) def. Thomas Torres (JSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #97 Francisco Bastias (UM) vs. Lebelo Mosehle (JSU) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
4. Stephen Madonia (UM) vs. Juan Soria (JSU) 6-3, 4-0, unfinished
5. Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM) def. Richy Gamo (JSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. W. Grattan-Smith (UM) def. Fritz Jacobs (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Bojan Jankulovski/A. Soriano Barrera (UM) vs. Andrey Alawi/Richy Gamo (JSU) 3-5, unfinished
2. Dane Dunlap/Stephen Madonia (UM) def. Thomas Torres/Lebelo Mosehle (JSU) 6-1
3. Tatsuki Shimamoto/Pablo Aycart Joya (UM) def. Juan Soria/Fritz Jacobs (JSU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,6,5)