M. Tennis Flies Past Liberty, 6-1
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a 6-1 victory over Liberty Friday night at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Following a dominant 7-0 sweep against Stetson in Friday’s early afternoon match, the Hurricanes closed out the afternoon claiming 26 out of 28 total sets in singles action.
In doubles action, sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera and redshirt junior Dane Dunlap came up short against Nicaise Muamba and Chase Burton, 4-6.
Claiming the final two points, freshman Francisco Bastias and sophomore Bojan Jankulovski topped William Barker and Vince Salas, 6-4, as all eyes turned over to court 2.
Playing No. 2 doubles, Miami’s freshman tandem of Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore took care of business in the tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-5), against Josh Wilson and Steve Mundt, to give the Hurricanes a crucial point advantage heading into singles play.
In singles, the Hurricanes stayed hot with first set victories on courts 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, extending Miami’s set streak to as-high-as 19.
Overall, Dunlap logged Miami’s opening point in singles competition, earning a 6-0, 6-1 triumph over Barker, while No. 97 Bastias followed suit with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Ian Sturgill.
Holding a 3-0 advantage, No. 35 Jankulovski improved the Canes to 2-0 on the season, with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Eddie Gutierrez.
The remaining matches were all played out, with Aubone the first to wrap up a decision, as he beat Wilson, 6-4, 6-3.
On court 1, No. 21 Soriano Barrera dropped his first match of the 2019 spring season, coming up short against Nicaise Muamba, 4-6, 3-6.
In the final match of the afternoon, Gore picked up his first dual match singles win with a 6-3, 7-5 straight-set victory over Burton.
Miami returns to the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Monday with an 11 a.m. match against Florida Atlantic. The match will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
To keep up with the University of Miami men’s tennis team on social media, follow @CanesMensTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
1. Nicaise Muamba (LIBERTYM) def. #21 A. Soriano Barrera (UM) 6-4, 6-3
2. #35 Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. Eddie Gutierrez (LIBERTYM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dane Dunlap (UM) def. William Barker (LIBERTYM) 6-0, 6-1
4. #97 Francisco Bastias (UM) def. Ian Sturgill (LIBERTYM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Franco Aubone (UM) def. Josh Wilson (LIBERTYM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kaya Gore (UM) def. Chase Burton (LIBERTYM) 6-3, 7-5
1. Nicaise Muamba/Chase Burton (LIBERTYM) def. A. Soriano Barrera/Dane Dunlap (UM) 6-4
2. Franco Aubone/Kaya Gore (UM) def. Josh Wilson/Steve Mundt (LIBERTYM) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Francisco Bastias/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. William Barker/Vince Salas (LIBERTYM) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,2,5,1,6)