No. 28 Notre Dame Fights Off No. 42 Men's Tennis
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team fell to No. 28 Notre Dame, 5-2, at the Courtney Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
Doubles partners Dane Dunlap and Bojan Jankulovski registered doubles and singles victories for the Hurricanes (12-9, 3-6 ACC), but it was the Fighting Irish’s (14-11, 5-4 ACC) day, with Notre Dame winning four of the six tiebreakers in the match.
Jankulovski, a freshman, earned his 15th singles victory of the season, downing Matt Gamble 6-1, 6-3, to cut the Fighting Irish’s lead to 2-1 at the moment.
Late in the day, sophomore Dunlap overcame a one-set deficit for a dramatic 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 10-6 comeback triumph over Guillermo Cabrera for Miami’s second point.
The ranked matchup at the top of the lineup, featuring Miami’s No. 118 Christian Langmo and Notre Dame’s No. 36 Alex Lebedev, was also decided by a third-set tiebreaker, but went the other way – 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 12-10.
Notre Dame clinched the opening point of the match as Brendon Kempin and Tristan McCormick bested freshman Adria Soriano and Langmo, a senior, ranked No. 97 in the nation, 7-6 (7-3) in the decisive match.
Dunlap and Jankulovski had tied the doubles matchup with a 6-3 triumph over Cabrera and Lebedev in the middle of the lineup.
Beforehand, Grayson Broadus and Richard Ciamarra earned the first win of the day, taking down Miami’s duo of senior Nile Clark and freshman Pablo Aycart, 6-4.
Broadus then earned his second win of the day, doubling Notre Dame’s lead with a 6-1, 6-1 win against freshman Tatsuki Shimamoto.
Moments after Miami had gotten on the board, Ciamarra wrapped up his double as well, upsetting No. 97 Adria Soriano, 6-2, 6-4, on court 2.
The victory was clinched by McCormick, who gave up only one game in the second set to notch a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 victory against senior Niclas Genovese.
The Canes wrap up their regular-season road slate at noon Sunday, when they take on Boston College in Chestnut Hills.
1. Brendon Kempin/Tristan McCormick (ND) def. No. 18 Christian Langmo/Adria Soriano (UM), 7-6 (7-3)
2. Bojan Jankulovski/Dane Dunlap (UM) def. Alex Lebedev/Guillermo Cabrera (ND), 6-3
3. Grayson Broadus/Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Pablo Aycart/Nile Clark (UM), 6-4
1. No. 36 Alex Lebedev (ND) def. No. 118 Christian Langmo (UM), 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 12-10
2. Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. No. 98 Adria Soriano (UM), 6-2, 6-4
3. Dane Dunlap (UM) def. Guillermo Cabrera (ND), 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 10-6
4. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. Matt Gamble (ND), 6-1, 6-3
5. Tristan McCormick (ND) def. Niclas Genovese (UM), 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
6. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM), 6-1, 6-1