W. Tennis' Match with FAU Suspended by Rain
By Teodor Handarov
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team was halfway to sweeping Friday’s doubleheader, but rain stopped the Hurricanes’ contest against Florida Atlantic at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Sophomore Dominika Paterova had just doubled the Miami (4-3, 1-0 ACC) lead with a 6-0, 6-0 win against Naiya Oden when heavy rain began falling over the courts. Play was not resumed and the match was left suspended with no victor.
Miami got off to a good start against Florida Atlantic (4-4, 0-1 CUSA) by claiming its second doubles point of the day. Senior Sinead Lohan and freshman Ulyana Shirokova were clinical once again and took down the Owls’ tandem of Kristen Thoms and Marisa Ruiz, 6-2.
The No. 2 matchup was close all throughout, but the Hurricanes’ duo of Paterova and junior Daniella Roldan that grabbed the decisive break for a 6-4. Miami was taken to a deuce point on their serve in the final game, but held thanks to an unforced Florida Atlantic error on the decisive point.
Sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba and junior Ana Madcur had a 5-3 edge over Jemi Aguilar and Aliona Bolsova before Miami claimed the point.
Miami was ahead in three of the five singles incomplete singles matches. No. 116 Lohan took the first set, 6-2, against Natalia Boltinskaya and was up, 2-1, in set two. Roldan was even closer to victory, leading Thoms, 6-1, 3-1.
Shortly before the match was stopped, No. 114 Madcur had closed out a 6-2 first set against Ja’Cara Gillis.
On the main court, the highly-anticipated matchup between No. 23 Perez-Somarriba and No. 3 Bolsova was tied 5-5 in the opening set.
The Owls only had one player in the lead, as Ruiz was ahead of Shirokova, 6-5, in the first set.
In accordance with ITA rules, none of the matches–including the three that finished–will officially count since the overall contest was suspended.
RESULTS (do not officially count)
1. No. 33 Estela Perez-Somarriba/Ana Madcur (UM) vs. Aliona Bolsova/Jemi Aguilar (FAU), 5-2, unf.
2. Dominika Paterova/Daniella Roldan (UM) def. Natalia Boltinskaya/Ja’Cara Gillis (FAU), 6-4
3. Sinead Lohan/Ulyana Shirokova (UM) def. Kristen Thoms/Marisa Ruiz (FAU), 6-2
1. No. 23 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM) vs. No. 3 Aliona Bolsova (FAU), 5-5, unf.
2. No. 116 Sinead Lohan (UM) vs. Natalia Boltinskaya (FAU), 6-2, 2-1, unf.
3. Daniella Roldan (UM) vs. Kristen Thoms (FAU), 6-1, 3-1, unf.
4. No. 114 Ana Madcur (UM) vs. Ja’Cara Gillis (FAU), 6-2, unf.
5. Marisa Ruiz (FAU) vs. Ulyana Shirokova (UM), 6-5, unf.
6. Dominika Paterova (UM) def. Naiya Oden (FAU), 6-0, 6-0
NOTE: The match was initially set to be resumed at a later date, but the contest never continued and was left unfinished. All match results do not count, per ITA regulations.