Canes Men’s Tennis Shuts Out Georgia Southern, 7-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team opened the home portion of its 2017-18 schedule on a high note, as it posted a 7-0 victory over Georgia Southern Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Miami completely dominated its first home match of the season, as it dropped just one set on the afternoon. With the win, Miami improved to 2-2 on the year and to 5-1 all-time against the Eagles.
“Today was a great home opener for our team,” Miami head coach Aljosa Piric said. “I thought our guys really showed up and were ready to battle. They were ready to compete and that’s what we are trying to do. Our goal this year is to compete in every match and fight in every match and that’s what we did today.”
The Hurricanes jumped out to the early lead and never looked back. Miami claimed the doubles point thanks to wins from the tandems of Pablo Aycart/Nile Clark and Dane Dunlap/Christian Langmo, as both posted a pair of 6-3 victories.
Senior Niclas Genovese collected the first singles point for Miami after he tallied a straight-set win over Georgia Southern’s Murphy McCullough (6-2, 6-2) and improved to 8-4 on the year.
Freshman Adria Soriano followed Genovese’s win with a straight-set victory of his own, defeating Georgia Southern’s Diego Finkelstein (6-1, 6-2) to give a 3-0 lead. With the win, Soriano improved to 10-4 on the year.
Redshirt sophomore Dane Dunlap sealed Miami’s second win of the spring with a 6-2, 6-1, triumph over Artemie Amari.
The Hurricanes would go on to capture the following three singles matches to complete the sweep. Freshman Tatsuki Shimamoto closed out the match in style for the Hurricanes, as he rallied back from a one-set deficit to pick up his fifth singles victory on the year.
Miami returns to action on Sunday at home against Iowa. The match is set to begin at 10 a.m., and can be seen live on ACC Network Extra by clicking here.
For all of the latest news around Miami’s men’s tennis team, follow @CanesMensTennis on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to HurricaneSports.com.
1. Christian Langmo (UM) def. Stefano Di Aloy (GSMT) 6-2 (7-3), 6-4
2. Adria Soriano (UM) def. Diego Finkelstein (GSMT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. Eddie Landin (GSMT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Dane Dunlap (UM) def. Artemie Amari (GSMT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Niclas Genovese (UM) def. Murphy McCullough (GSMT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM) def. Carlos Garcia (GSMT) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
1. Artemie Amari/Eddie Landin (GSMT) vs. Bojan Jankulovski/Adria Soriano (UM) no result
2. Pablo Aycart/Nile Clark (UM) def. Diego Finkelstein/Murphy McCullough (GSMT) 6-3
3. Dane Dunlap/Christian Langmo (UM) def. Pascal Wagemaker/Stefano Di Aloy (GSMT) 6-3
Georgia Southern 0-4
University of Miami 2-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,2,4,1,3,6)