@CanesWTennis Drops Road Match at No. 18 Texas
AUSTIN, Texas – The University of Miami women’s tennis team came up short in a 5-2 decision Saturday afternoon at No. 18 Texas.
No. 17 Miami (1-2) dropped the first three points of the match, before forcing three third sets in an attempt to storm back. However, the Hurricanes were unable to pull off the comeback at the Whitaker Courts.
Texas quickly pushed its lead to 3-0, as No. 79 Koprcina notched a 6-2, 6-2 win over No. 100 Epstein and Anna Turati downed Paterova, 6-2, 6-0.
Miami then gained some momentum, winning second sets in three matches where it dropped the opener. That put each of the last four contests in third sets with the match still up for grabs.
However, Granic clinched the match for the Longhorns, earning a come-from-behind win over Perez-Somarriba, who was the lone Hurricane to win set one in singles. Down 4-5 in the final set, Granic took each of the last three games to pick up a 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 triumph, handing Texas the victory and giving Perez-Somarriba the first spring singles defeat of her young career.
The final three matches were all played out, with sixth-ranked Lohan’s the first to come to an end. She fell to No. 85 Bianca Turati, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Fuentes gave Miami its first point of the day by recording a 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over Poluta. Shortly thereafter, Madcur sealed up a 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 7-6 (7-1) victory against Wagland to give the Hurricanes their second point and conclude the match.
This was the 400th match of Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews‘ illustrious 16-year career. Her record now stands at a phenomenal 307-93 (.768).
Miami will be back in action Feb. 21 for the start of ACC play when it hosts Florida State at 10 a.m., at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
1. No. 53 Petra Granic/Dani Wagland (UT) def. Dominika Paterova/Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM), 6-0
2. Maci Epstein/Ana Madcur (UM) def. Katie Poluta/Bianca Turati (UT), 6-4
3. Neda Koprcina/Anna Turati (UT) def. Silvia Fuentes/Sinead Lohan (UM), 6-4
1. No. 85 Bianca Turati (UT) def. No. 6 Sinead Lohan (UM), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. No. 79 Neda Koprcina (UT) def. No. 100 Maci Epstein (UM), 6-2, 6-2
3. Petra Granic (UT) def. No. 94 Estela Perez-Somarriba (UM), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Anna Turati (UT) def. Dominika Paterova (UM), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ana Madcur (UM) def. Dani Wagland (UT), 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Katie Poluta (UT), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4