@CanesWTennis Caps Homestand by Defeating VT, 6-1
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team extended its winning streak to five Friday by defeating No. 32 Virginia Tech, 6-1, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
No. 12 Miami (9-4, 4-2 ACC) got off to a quick start with a stellar showing in doubles and never looked back en route to wrapping up its homestand with a perfect 4-0 record.
“I think our doubles play was much better today,” Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We saw a lot of what we’ve been working on come into play for us. I think overall we played a pretty good match.”
Miami then took lead with senior Clementina Riobueno and sophomore Silvia Fuentes rolling past Elena Cerezo-Codina and Sansitha Nandekumar of Virginia Tech (10-5, 3-3 ACC) in a 6-2 win, clinching the doubles point.
The Hurricanes’ dominating play continued in singles with sixth-ranked Wagner winning over Fusinato, 6-0, 6-2. Wagner scored ten unanswered points before Fusinato earned her first point of the match.
Fuentes won her singles match in similar fashion, logging a 6-2, 6-1 win against Williford to give Miami its third point of the day.
Seventh-ranked Lohan sealed the win for the Hurricanes by downing Cerezo-Codina, 6-3, 6-3, to move her record to 12-1 on the season.
After dropping the first set and then evening the match with a victory in the second, No. 103 Zhang came up short against No. 117 Daxhelet, 2-6, 6-4, 3-6.
Both Hurricane freshmen, Tanielian and Ana Madcur, won their matches in 10-point third-set tiebreakers. Tanielian downed Mita, 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4), and Madcur earned a 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7) victory against Butler.
“The freshmen did great at the end, they pulled through,” Yaroshuk-Tews said.
Miami, which is now 7-0 at home this season, will play its first road match in nearly three weeks Sunday when it faces Pittsburgh at 11 a.m.
To learn more about University of Miami women’s tennis, follow @CanesWTennis.
1. No. 10 Stephanie Wagner/Wendy Zhang (UM) vs. Francesca Fusinato/Kelly Williford (VT) 5-2, unfinished
2. No. 55 Sinead Lohan/Clara Tanielian (UM) def. Caroline Daxhelet/Raluca Mita (VT) 6-3
3. Silvia Fuentes/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Elena Cerezo-Codina/Sansitha Nandakumar (VT), 6-2
1. No. 6 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. No. 58 Francesca Fusinato (VT) 6-0, 6-2
2. No. 7 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. Elena Cerezo-Codina (VT) 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 117 Caroline Daxhelet (VT) def. No. 103 Wendy Zhang (UM), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Kelly Williford (VT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Clara Tanielian (UM) vs. Raluca Mita (VT)2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Ana Madcur (UM) vs. Katherine Butler (VT) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)