Canes Fall Short at NC State, 85-69
No. 15/13 Miami6985NC State
|Season Stats||Condensed Game|
|ACC Stats||Full Broadcast|
|Photo Gallery||Press Conference|
|SCORE BY HALF|
|Two Players||4||Two Players||1|
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Anthony “Cat” Barber scored 30 points to help North Carolina State beat No. 15 Miami 85-69 on Saturday.
Sheldon McClellan scored 18 points to lead the Hurricanes (16-4, 5-3), who could not rally back from a four-point halftime deficit.
Miami trailed by 10 midway through the first half and closed to within 64-59 with about 4½ minutes left, but the Wolfpack ran off seven-straight scoring possessions to stretch the lead back out and claim the victory.
Angel Rodriguez finished with 15 points and a game-high six assists. Davon Reed (12) and Ja’Quan Newton (10) also scored in double-figures for Miami.
Newton also tallied four steals, tying a career-high.
The Hurricanes shot a season-best 93.8 percent (15-of-16) from the free throw line.
Miami: Davon Reed scored 12 points. … Miami made 15 of 16 free throws, all after halftime. … The Hurricanes made 2 of 12 3-pointers after halftime.
N.C. State: Caleb Martin added 13 points. … Barber drew three charges in the second half. … This was N.C. State’s first home win since beating Northeastern on Dec. 29, ending a four-game skid.
Miami hosts No. 25 Notre Dame on Wednesday.
N.C. State travels to Florida State on Wednesday.
– Miami is now 8-12 in the all-time series at North Carolina State, which dates back to the 1939-40 season. The Canes are 2-7 on the road, 4-4 at NC State and 2-1 at neutral sites.
– Under head coach Jim Larrañaga, Miami dropped to 4-5. The Hurricanes also suffered their first loss as a ranked team under Coach L. Miami is 2-1 all-time as a ranked team against NC State.
– Miami trailed 37-32 at the half. The Hurricanes trailed for just the fifth time at the half all season. Miami dropped to 2-3 when trailing at the half.
– Head coach Jim Larrañaga has a 577-387 overall record in his 32nd season as a head coach. He is 107-53 in his fifth season at the University of Miami, with a 46-32 mark in ACC play.
– Miami connected at a season-high 93.8 percent clip from the free throw line as it went 15-of-16 from the charity stripe.
-The Hurricanes had four-or-more players score in double figures for the 11th time this season. Miami dropped to 9-2 when having four-or-more players score in double figures.
-Miami fell to 10-3 with the starting lineup of Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan, Davon Reed, Kamari Murphy and Tonye Jekiri.
-The Hurricanes held a 17-11 advantage in fast break points.
– Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan scored a team-high 18 points. McClellan has scored in double figures in eight straight games.
– Angel Rodriguez knocked down three shots from long range, his 10th game with multiple 3-pointers made.
– Rodriguez has scored in double digits in 14 games, scoring 15 points against North Carolina State.
– Ja’Quan Newton tallied 10 points and has scored double-digit points in 16 games after only scoring 10+ in four games as a rookie.
– With two handouts against North Carolina State, Newton has at least two assists in 14 games.
– Newton also tied a career-high four steals.
– Davon Reed scored 12 points. He has now reached double figures in five of the last seven games.
– Reed pulled down four rebounds and has grabbed at least three rebounds in every game but two – vs. Charleston and at Clemson.