Davon Reed's 19 Points Carry Canes to 2-0
|Season Stats||Condensed Replay|
|Photo Gallery||Full Broadcast|
|Jim Larrañaga||Bob Marlin|
|SCORE BY HALF|
|Click here to enlarge|
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — Davon Reed scored 19 points to lead Miami to a 93-77 victory over Louisiana Monday night.
The Hurricanes (2-0) were never threatened after they stretched a 1-point lead and outscored the Ragin’ Cajuns 15-4 during a 5:17 span midway through the first half. Ivan Cruz-Uceda’s 3-pointer and mid-range jumper keyed the run. Anthony Lawrence’s layup with 9:23 remaining ended the spurt and gave Miami a 27-15 lead.
Lawrence’s 3-pointer from the top of the key with 3:31 left in the half increased Miami’s lead to 41-21.
Reed shot 6-of-8 from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range and was one of six Miami players, who scored in double figures. Cruz Uceda, who finished with 13 points, converted on 3-of-5 from behind the arc.
Angel Rodriguez finished with 18 points and Sheldon McClellan scored 16 points for the Hurricanes. Lawrence and Jaquan Newton scored 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Reed’s 3-pointer 4:37 into the second half gave the Hurricanes their second 20-point advantage at 56-36.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (1-1) reduced an 18-point deficit with six straight points late in the second. Shawn Long’s free throw with 6:08 got Louisiana Lafayette within 78-66.
Miami responded with five unanswered points on Reed’s dunk and three free throws from Lawrence in the next 1:45.
Long finished with 21 points and 12 rebounds for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
– Tonight was the 50th BankUnited Center victory for Coach L, his home record is now 50-19 at the BUC.
– This is the first time Miami has made at least 10 3-pointers in each of the first two games of the season since 2007-08.
– Miami improved to 85-10 all-time at the BUC when scoring 75 or more points.
– Miami improved to 48-3 all-time at the BUC when shooting better than 50 percent.
– Miami and Louisiana each scored 50 points in the second stanza.
– For the second-straight game, Miami’s starters were Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan, Davon Reed, Ivan Cruz Uceda and Tonye Jekiri.
– Six players tallied double-digit points for the Canes: Davon Reed (19), Angel Rodriguez (18), Sheldon McClellan (16), Ivan Cruz Uceda (13), Anthony Lawrence Jr., (12), Ja’Quan Newton (11). The last time six players scored in double digits was against Texas Southern on Nov. 14, 2013: James Kelly (17), Donnavan Kirk (15), Rion Brown (13), Manu Lecomte (12), Davon Reed (11), Garrius Adams (10).
– With his 13th point tonight, Angel Rodriguez reached the 500-point mark for his Miami career.
– Freshman Anthony Lawrence Jr., tallied 12 points, six rebounds and four assists and two steals in only his second game in Hurricanes uniform.
– Junior Davon Reed tied his career high of 19 points, a total in which he has now posted five times, the last time being at Pittsburgh (3/4/15).
– Sheldon McClellan’s second field goal tonight was his 200th in a Miami uniform.
– Ja’Quan Newton tied his career high of five assists, last dished out against Notre Dame (1/17/15).