@HurricaneTennis Rolls Past NC State 6-1
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami women’s tennis team kept its unblemished ACC record intact with a dominant 6-1 win against NC State at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Friday.
The 14th-ranked Hurricanes easily took down Wolfpack and now improve to 9-3 (6-0 ACC) this spring.
“The girls rebounded well, we had a tough loss on the road, so it was nice to get back out here at home and get that out of our system,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We played good tennis today.”
The day began with doubles play where the Hurricanes found success. No. 19 senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno ran past their opponents No. 77 Elisha Hande and Joanna Nalborska, 8-2. Clinching the doubles point, senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Wendy Zhang came away with 8-4 victory over Natalia Janowicz and Liza Fieldsend.
In the singles competition, Miami continued its outstanding play, winning five of six matches.
No. 37 Lohan had a tough first set, but came out firing and rolled past Liza Fieldsend to win, 6-4, 6-0.
Shortly after the victory, No. 63 Riobueno gave the Hurricanes another victory over Sophie Nelson, 6-2, 6-2.
Freshman Silvia Fuentes clinched the victory for the Canes by playing a strong match by controlling the pace of play against Tayla Stenta, 6-1, 6-0.
“I thought Silvia played a great match today at six,” said Yaroshuk-Tews. “She is doing everything that we ask her to do and her balls have a lot of pop on them and she is playing great tennis.”
Wagner, ranked seventh, continued the dominant play by the Hurricanes against No. 104 Joanna Nalborska with a 6-1, 6-3 victory.
No. 108 senior Lileikite easily brushed aside her opponent Elisha Hande and won, 6-0, 6-3.
Freshman Yolimar Ogando was unable to close out in a tough match and fell to Nicole Martinez, 2-6, 6-4, 10-8.
“We have been playing some good tennis and our toughest matches are in front of us, so we need to keep it up,” added Yaroshuk-Tews.
The Hurricanes will now travel to Virginia to face Virginia on Friday, March, 27 at 3:30 p.m. and Virginia Tech on Sunday, March, 29 at 10 a.m.
For more information on University of Miami women’s tennis, @HurricaneTennis.
1. #7 Stephanie Wagner (Miami) def. #104 Joanna Nalborska (NCST), 6-1, 6-3
2. #37 Sinead Lohan (Miami) def. Liza Fieldsend (NCST), 6-4, 6-0
3. #108 Lina Lileikite (Miami) def. Elisha Hande (NCST), 6-0, 6-3
4. Nicole Martinez (NCST) def. Yolimar Ogando (Miami), 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. #63 Clementina Riobueno (Miami) def. Sophie Nelson (NCST), 6-2, 6-2
6. Silvia Fuentes (Miami) def. Tayla Stenta (NCST), 6-1, 6-0
1. Sinead Lohan/Stephanie Wagner (Miami) vs. SophieNelson/Nicole Martinez (NCST), 6-3, unfinished
2. No.19 Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (Miami) def. No. 77 Elisha Hande/Joanna Nalborska (NCST), 8-2
3. Lina Lileikite/Wendy Zhang (Miami) def. Natalia Janowicz/LizaFIeldsend (NCST), 8-4