@CanesHoops Prevail In First Round Of NIT
|Points||Lecomte – 18||Parks – 25|
|Rebounds||Jekiri – 6||Parks – 7|
|Assists||Reed – 6||Hilliard – 5|
|Blocks||Jekiri – 2||None|
|Condensed Replay||LeVelle Moton|
|Game Replay||Lecomte & McClellan|
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) – Manu Lecomte made 10 of 11 free throws and scored 18 points, Sheldon McClellan added 15 and Miami moved into the second round of the NIT by holding off North Carolina Central 75-71 on Tuesday night.
Lecomte, McClellan and Davon Reed all made a pair of free throws in the last half-minute and Miami – which felt it earned an NCAA Tournament berth after going 11-9 in Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season and tournament games – finished 23 of 25 from the line.
Jordan Parks scored 23 of his 25 points in the second half for N.C. Central (25-8). Nimrod Hilliard scored 19 and Karamo Jawara finished with 10 for the Eagles.
* With the win, Miami has now won at least one game in each of its last five National Invitation Tournament appearances.
* With the win, Miami improves to 8-11 overall and 6-6 in the first round of National Invitational Tournament.
* Miami’s matchup against NC Central marked its 12th appearance in the NIT.
* Miami opened the game with Tonye Jekiri, Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan, Davon Reed and Ivan Cruz Uceda.
* This is the first time this season Miami has started a game with these five players.
* The Hurricanes have totaled 11 different starting units this season.
* The Hurricanes committed just 12 turnovers on the night. Miami moved to 19-12when committing 15-or-less turnovers this season.
* Miami held a 25-21 rebounding advantage. The Hurricanes improved to 13-2 this season when outrebounding their opponent.
* Miami had four-or-more players score in double figures for the 11th time this season.
* The Hurricanes moved to 8-3 when four-or-more players score in double figures.
* Miami scored 70-or-more points this season for the 16th time. The Hurricanes improved to 13-3 when they score 70-or-more points.
* Miami held a 34-25 lead at the half. The Hurricanes moved to 13-3 this season when leading at the break.
* Junior guard Sheldon McClellan scored the Hurricanes’ first basket at the 19:33 mark of the first half.
* Miami jumped out to an 11-4 lead at the 15:36 mark of the first half.
* Miami improved to 4-0 all-time against NC Central with the win.
* The Hurricanes moved to 4-0 all-time against NC Central in games held at home.
* Head coach Jim Larrañaga collected his first victory over NC Central.
* Redshirt junior Sheldon McClellan scored in double figures for the 28th time this season after he totaled 15 points.
* He also has scored in double figures in 11 of the Hurricanes’ last 12 games.
* Sophomore Manu Lecomte scored in double figures for the 13th time this season as he finished with a team-high 18 points.
* Redshirt freshman Deandre Burnett scored in double figures for the sixth time this season as he finished with 10 points.
* Burnett scored in double figures for the first since Feb. 16 at Boston College.
* Junior Tonye Jekiri scored in double figures for the 15th time this season as he finished with 11 points.
* Junior Ivan Cruz Uceda tied his career high with five rebounds. Cruz Uceda has tallied five rebounds on five separate occasions.
Head Coach Jim Larrañaga
* Head coach Jim Larrañaga improved to 558-382 overall in his 31st season as a head coach.
* He is 88-48 in his fourth season at the University of Miami.