McClellan Scores 16 in ACC Tournament Win
|Points||McClellan – 16||2 tied – 10|
|Rebounds||Jekiri – 8||Hill – 6|
|Assists||Lecomte – 5||Wilson – 4|
|Blocks||4 tied – 1||Pierce – 1|
|PLAYER OF THE GAME|
|Sheldon McClellan | Jr. | G
McClellan led all scorers with 16 points Wednesday night, fueling the offensive effort in the win.
|Highlights||Condensed Replay||Game Replay|
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) – Sheldon McClellan scored 16 points and Miami beat Virginia Tech 59-49 on Wednesday night in the second round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
Davon Reed added 10 points and hit an important 3-pointer with about 5 minutes left that helped the sixth-seeded Hurricanes (21-11) avoid a loss that would have been catastrophic to their NCAA tournament hopes.
The Hurricanes will face No. 11 Notre Dame (26-5), the tournament’s third seed, in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Adam Smith and Ahmed Hill each scored 10 points for the 14th-seeded Hokies (11-22), who gave the Hurricanes all they could handle. Miami – which twice this season beat Virginia Tech by at least 21 points – never led by double figures until the final minute.
* With the win over Virginia Tech, Miami collected its 21st win on the year and its third win over the Hokies this season.
* With the win, the Hurricanes will face No. 3 seed Notre Dame Thursday night at 9 p.m.
* Miami’s win over Virginia Tech improved the Hurricanes record to 12-9 all-time in the ACC Tournament.
* Miami opened the game with Tonye Jekiri, James Palmer, Sheldon McClellan, Davon Reed and Manu Lecomte.
* Miami is 2-0 with this starting five.
* This is the second time this season Miami has started a game with these five players.
* This is just the fourth game this season in which Angel Rodriguez did not start.
* The Hurricanes committed just 8 turnovers on the night. Miami improved to 18-11 when committing 15-or-less turnovers.
* Miami held a 33-26 rebounding advantage. The Hurricanes improved to 13-1 this season when outrebounding their opponent.
* Junior center Tonye Jekiri scored the Hurricanes’ first basket at the 18:59 of the first half.
* Miami led at the half 25-19. The Hurricanes improved to 12-3 when leading at the half this season.
* Miami improved to 17-12 all-time against Virginia Tech with the win.
* Miami has defeated Virginia Tech in each of the last four meetings.
* The Hurricanes moved to 3-2 all-time against Virginia Tech in games held on neutral courts.
* Miami has now won each of the last four meetings against Virginia Tech.
* Head coach Jim Larrañaga improved to 7-2 all-time against Virginia Tech.
* Redshirt junior Sheldon McClellan scored in double figures for the 26th time this season.
* He also has scored in double figures in nine of the Hurricanes’ last 10 games.
* Redshirt junior guard Angel Rodriguez saw his first action since Miami’s matchup against North Carolina on Feb. 28.
* Sophomore guard Davon Reed scored in double figures for the ninth time season as he finished with 10 points.
Head Coach Jim Larrañaga
* Head coach Jim Larrañaga improved to 557-381 overall in his 31st season as a head coach.
* He is 87-47 in his fourth season at the University of Miami, with a 42-29 mark in ACC play.