No. 10 WoMen's Tennis Trounces No. 9 Duke 4-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 10 University of Miami women’s tennis team defeated its highest-ranked opponent of the season in dominating fashion on Sunday, sweeping No. 9 Duke, 4-0, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
The Canes needed just one victory in doubles to earn a 2-0 lead and they would get that point from the duo of Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno.
|No. 9 Duke vs. No. 10 Miami|
|No. 23 Hanna Mar||4||2|
|No. 79 Stephanie Wagner||6||6|
|No. 110 Mary Clayton||3||5||unf|
|No. 81 Kelsey Laurente||6||4||unf|
|No. 99 Marianne Jodoin||4||3||unf|
|No. 121 Clementina Riobueno||6||4||unf|
|Hanna Mar/Mary Clayton||5|
|Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque||8|
|Annie Mulholland/Marianne Jodoin||4||unf|
|Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque||7||unf|
|No Player/No Player|
|Lina Lileikite/Kelsey Laurente||WF|
The pair came into Sunday’s match with a near-flawless 11-1 record, but were playing on Court No. 1 for the first time. The duo found themselves down three games to one to start their match, but rallied behind the cheers of the crowd and won seven of the next nine games, claiming the 8-5 win.
Stephanie Wagner and Melissa Bolivar led their match on Court Two, 7-4, when the doubles point was clinched.
Though she didn’t get to finish her match in doubles, Wagner kept that momentum in singles as she earned a straight-set, 6-4, 6-2 win over the nation’s 23rd-ranked player in the Blue Devils’ Hanna Mar, clinching the win for Miami. The victory was the 19th singles win of the season for the German and Mar was the highest-ranked opponent Wagner has defeated in her freshman season.
The first singles point went to Deborah Suarez at the No. 5 position. Competing in a dual match for the first time since March 30, the freshman was dominant in her 6-1, 6-0 victory over UNC’s Nicole Lipp. The win kept her dual record perfect at 8-0.
Kelsey Laurente, Clementina Riobueno and Melissa Bolivar all led their matches on Court Nos. 2, 3 and 4 before the match was clinched.
Due to an injury, the Blue Devils were unable to play at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles. Before the players stepped foot on the court, Miami led the Blue Devils 1-0.
The Hurricanes return to the court with matches at Virginia Tech and at No. 17 Virginia next Friday and Sunday respectively.
1. #79 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. #23 Hanna Mar (DUKE) 6-4, 6-2
2. #110 Mary Clayton (DUKE) vs. #81 Kelsey Laurente (UM) no result
3. #99 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) vs. #121 Clementina Riobueno (UM) no result
4. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) vs. Melissa Bolivar (UM) no result
5. Deborah Suarez (UM) def. Nicole Lipp (DUKE) 6-1, 6-0
6. No player (UM) def. No player (DUKE), by forfeit
1. Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Hanna Mar/Mary Clayton (DUKE) 8-5
2. Stephanie Wagner/Melissa Bolivar (UM) vs. Annie Mulholland/Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) 7-4, unfinished
3. Kelsey Laurente/Lina Lileikite (UM) def. No player/No player (DUKE), by forfeit
Order of Finish
Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,5,1)