Upset City: Canes Take Down No. 6 Lady Lions
5-1 • 0-0 Big Ten
5-1 • 0-0 ACC
|6||Maria Brown, Keyona Hayes|
|3||Maggie Lucas, Dara Taylor|
November 29, 2012
CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) — Morgan Stroman scored 15 points, leadingMiami to a 69-65 victory over No. 6 Penn State on Thursday night.
Suriya McGuire’s layupwith 14 seconds remaining broke a 65-all tie. Alex Bentley had a chance to tieit but her jumper with 5 seconds left bounced off the rim. Miami’s MichelleWoods grabbed the rebound and was fouled.
Woods made both freethrows with 2 seconds remaining to secure the win for Miami (5-1).
Stefanie Yderstromfinished with 13 points and Woods scored 11 for the Hurricanes.
Maggie Lucas led theLions (5-1) with a game-high 20 points.
Woods’ 3-point playwith 35 seconds left gave the Hurricanes a 65-62 lead. The Lions Lucas hit a 3to tie it with 23 seconds remaining.
Bentley’s layup with8:47 remaining in the second half gave the Lions their first lead at 51-49.Lucas’ two free throws with 8:22 left increased Penn State’s lead to 53-49 andended a 10-0 run.
Miami responded with a3-pointer and jumper from Yderstrom and a layup by Stroman in the next 3:01 andretook the lead, 56-53.
Penn State ralliedfrom a 10-point deficit midway through the first half and outscored Miami,13-4, during a 5:03 stretch. Bentley’s short jumper with 5:35 remaining pulledthe Lions to 24-23.
The Lions twice tiedit but couldn’t overtake Miami in the first half. After Mia Nickson’s basketwith 2:00 left tied it at 29, the Hurricanes finished the first half on a 7-0run. Woods’ driving layup with 15 seconds remaining ended the surge and gaveMiami at 36-29 lead at halftime.
The Hurricanes forcednine Penn State turnovers in the first 4:25 and opened an 8-0 lead. Stroman’stwo baskets keyed Miami’s early surge. The Lions tied their season high forturnovers for a game in the first half with 20.
Keyona Hayes’ shortjumper with 11:48 remaining gave Miami their first double-digit lead at 20-10.
- Tonight’s Starters: Maria Brown, Suriya McGuire, Morgan Stroman,Michelle Woods, and Stefanie Yderstrom.
- UM beat a ranked Big Ten opponent for the first time since Dec.19, 1991 when the Canes topped Purdue at home 65-63.
- Stefanie Yderstrom tied her career-high with seven assists on thenight. She previously had seven against SIUE on Feb. 7, 2010.
- The Hurricanes had a season-high 19 steals. The previousbest was 15 in the season opener against North Florida.
- Morgan Stroman had a season-high five steals (topping two, lastdone against Radford on Nov. 24).
- Michelle Woods and Stefanie Yderstrom both had a season-high foursteals. Woods previously had two at Richmond, and Yderstrom had three multipletimes.
- Krystal Saunders scored eight points off the bench to leadsubstitutes from both teams in scoring.
- Miami beat a top 10 opponent for the first time since being on theroad at Maryland on Feb. 12, 2012
- This was the Hurricanes’ first game against Penn State in programhistory. Miami has now faced 11 of the current 12 Big Ten members.