Quotes & Notes from the WNBA Draft
April 5, 2006
Linda Hargrove, General Manager, Washington Mystics
On James’ style of play
“Tamara is just so versatile. She just finds a way to score. I like the way she plays hard every minute of the game. I like her ability to rebound her ability to pass.”
“I like her personally, too. She’s the kind of player who tries to be the best she can be. I think she is going to continue to improve.”
- James is the first player in UM history to be taken in the first round of the WNBA Draft
- James is just the second player in UM history to be selected in the WNBA Draft. Octavia Blue was taken in the second round (15th overall) by Los Angeles in 1998.
- James was the second player from the Atlantic Coast Conference. Duke’s Monique Currie was first as the No. 3 overall pick by the Charlotte Sting.
- James was one of two players from the South Florida area taken in the first round, joining LSU’s Scholanda Hoston, a native of Miami who played at Miami Edision High School, who was the 14th overall pick by the Sacramento Monarchs.
- James was one of four players originally from the state of Florida taken in the draft.