MBB Opens ACC Play Against No. 18 NC State
January 3, 2019 | 7 p.m.
Watsco Center | Coral Gables, Fla.
Miami (8-4, 0-0 ACC) vs. No. 18/19 NC State (12-1, 0-0 ACC)
Tickets | Directions | Watch Online | Roster | Schedule | UM Game Notes | NCSU Game Notes
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s basketball team opens ACC play at 7 p.m. Thursday when it entertains No. 18 NC State at the Watsco Center.
The game airs on ESPNU and also streams online via the WatchESPN app. The Canes’ radio broadcast airs on WQAM 560-AM and also streams online on HurricaneSports.com, Radio.com and the TuneIn app.
Tickets remain available and can be purchased online HERE or at the Watsco Center ticket office.
Things To Know
• Miami is the only ACC team with five players averaging in double-figure scoring.
• Miami was picked 10th in the 2018-19 ACC Preseason Poll but UM exceeded its predicted finish in each of Jim Larrañaga’s first seven seasons.
• UM joins Virginia, Duke and UNC as the lone teams to win 10 or more ACC games each of the last four years.
• Ebuka Izundu leads the ACC in field-goal percentage (.693) and is fifth in rebounding (9.3).
• Anthony Lawrence II has averaged 15 points and seven rebounds in Miami’s last three wins.
• Zach Johnson reached 1,500 career points with his 22-point effort Saturday (first three years at FGCU).
• DJ Vasiljevic has hit at least one 3-pointer in 25 straight games – the longest current streak in the ACC.
• Chris Lykes is 10th in the ACC in scoring (16.6).
• UM averages 8.8 3-pointers per game (third in ACC). NC State is fourth at 8.7 per game.
• Junior forward Dewan Hernandez has been withheld from competition thus far as the University and NCAA review his eligibility.
Winners of three straight games, Miami (8-4) is facing its first top-25 opponent of the season. Nine of UM’s 18 conference games pit the Canes against teams currently ranked in the AP Top 20, including home-and-homes with Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Miami and Wake Forest each play a league-high nine games against ACC teams that currently are ranked in the top 20.
After scoring 21 points Saturday against Campbell, Lykes leads five Miami players who are averaging in double-figure scoring this season at 16.6 points per game. Lawrence (13.3), Johnson (13.3), Vasiljevic (12.5) and Izundu (12.2) also are averaging over a dozen points per game. Miami is scoring 77.6 ppg this year and giving up 67.6 ppg.
NC State is off to a 12-1 start for the first time since the 2005-06 season. Torin Dorn leads the team in scoring (15.1 ppg) and rebounding (6.5 rpg), while Markell Johnson is averaging 11.8 ppg and a team-high 4.2 apg. The Wolfpack is averaging 89.4 ppg and allowing 64.8 ppg. NC State is forcing opponents into 19.2 turnovers per game, which leads the ACC and ranks fifth nationally.
NC State holds a 12-11 lead in the series, while Miami owns a 5-4 edge in Coral Gables. UM has won the last three contests, including an 86-81 decision in the last matchup on Jan. 21, 2018, in Raleigh.
Miami plays its first ACC road game on Sunday (Jan. 6) when it travels to Louisville for a 6 p.m. game that will be broadcast by ESPNU.
To keep up with the University of Miami men’s basketball team on social media, follow @CanesHoops on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.